Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:47 PM   #1

I've just been thinking about whether Panansonics 4/3 DSLR which is due in 2006 is going to be too late into the market considering that Canon has just launched the 350XT/RebelXT and that Nikon is very soon to launch a new entry DSLR, the D50 and an update to the D70 within the next few weeks. From what they have already said it will be at the entry level/new DSLR user who doesn't have any exisiting lenses but will there be a market for a Pana DSLR by then?

Harj

PS I wish someone would leak some real info on the FZ20's replacement!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:46 PM   #2

I think they'll have a hard time. Using the 4/3 sensor will mean that the sensor size will only 2/3 the size of Canon's which means it'll be noisier which can be seen in the reviews of Oly e-volt with 4/3 sensor. The lens will be limited as no other makers are using the standard so you won't have Sigma, Tamron and Tokina to choose from. Unless demand is high the other companies won't get involved. The 2x vs 1.6 x crop factor means the wide end of lens will be limited. All in all it may be a tough sell.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:46 PM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I've just been thinking about whether Panansonics 4/3 DSLR which is due in 2006 is going to be too late into the market considering that Canon has just launched the 350XT/RebelXT and that Nikon is very soon to launch a new entry DSLR, the D50 and an update to the D70 within the next few weeks. From what they have already said it will be at the entry level/new DSLR user who doesn't have any exisiting lenses but will there be a market for a Pana DSLR by then?

Harj

The 4/3rds Pana Oly.... not so exited anymore prefer..... this...

I think I lean toward Nikon, if I was to go DSLR, I would watch the D50 its due out soon, get it with a fast walkaround zoom. The newest D70 is an alternative.

Don't forget Nikon have an unparalled support in pro circles if thats important. And a dearth of F series lenses some the best optical glass around.

For ultra zoom outdoors the FZ20 successor would be my choice, they will need to gain up the EVF tho. Ultra zoom on a DSLR = big glass and $$$$.
.................................................. ............
1. Nikon DSLR with fast walkaround lens for low light and High ISO work landscapes and street work + old second hand F series prime lenses for tasks you need ie Macro or Dedicated Portraits yes these would be manual lenses but thats ok.

2. FZ30 for most shots with High Megapixels and Ultra Zoom, no addons

3. FZ1v2 for travel... no addons

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:55 PM   #4

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
HarjTT wrote:
Quote:

Harj

The 4/3rds Pana Oly.... not so exited anymore prefer..... this...

I think I lean toward Nikon, if I was to go DSLR, I would watch the D50 its due out soon, get it with a fast walkaround zoom. The newest D70 is an alternative.

Don't forget Nikon have an unparalled support in pro circles if thats important. And a dearth of F series lenses some the best optical glass around.

For ultra zoom outdoors the FZ20 successor would be my choice, they will need to gain up the EVF tho. Ultra zoom on a DSLR = big glass and $$$$.
.................................................. ............
1. Nikon DSLR with fast walkaround lens for low light and High ISO work landscapes and street work + old second hand F series prime lenses for tasks you need ie Macro or Dedicated Portraits yes these would be manual lenses but thats ok.

2. FZ30 for most shots with High Megapixels and Ultra Zoom, no addons

3. FZ1v2 for travel... no addons
John

I agree 100% with you on this - I'd still want the FZ30 esp for the zoom and that Leica lens. If the D50 is priced well, and has a decent spec then I would be interested in that too with just a nice fast lens but no big zoom, something like an 18-70mm lens.

Nooner - I've read the reviews on the 4/3 based Oly's and it looks as if no one at the moment can compete with the Canon CMOS inc. Nikon. May be Pana can pull out some new tricks with their own 4/3 sensor - apparently the first canon EOS 1D's sensor was designed and manufactured by Pana. Regards lenses - I know Sigma do have some 4/3 lenses, also Oly's Zukio lens are supposed to be really good to and if they could get Leica on board to then who knows what you'd get.

I just kind of think that waiting to March 2006 is leaving it too late by then both Canon and Nikon would be introducing upgrades to the D50/350XT's!

Harj
Old Apr 16, 2005, 6:42 AM   #5

I agree with Boyzo. If I buy a DSLR right now, it would be the Nikon D70 or D50. Hopefully the D50 is a little smaller. The ONLY reason, imo, is that the D70 is the only "non-pro" digital slr you can sync flash at all speeds. It seems to me that the capability to synch at speeds at/above 1/500th of a sec (along with the availability of great glass and durability) was traditionally the distinguishing factor between "pro" gear and amature gear. Ken Rockwell, on his site, admittedly kinda sold me on the D70 for this reason. I "very often" use a flash at high shutter speeds (see "eye shots" as example...)

That said, I think Panasonic has some tricks up its sleeve. They were somewhat late entrants in the digicam area, and produced (arguably) the best cam line for the money out there. I see them "hooking" you with an inexpensive DSLR, then "locking you in" to expensive proprietary 3/4 lenses. Kinda like the printer/ink model. That's pure speculation on my part.

Wasn't there also a press release by Pana recently that said they've developed a way to drastically reduce electrical interference that causes noise in sensors? I wonder if this will be used in their DSLR line, hence the delay.

It seems to me Panasonic assesses the market, lets the others make their mistakes (..though they've made some too) before entering. They do have the engineering capital - and the expertise, at this point to go head-to-head with the Canons and the Nikons.

They know what they're doing.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:41 AM   #6

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Boyzo. If I buy a DSLR right now, it would be the Nikon D70 or D50. Hopefully the D50 is a little smaller. The ONLY reason, imo, is that the D70 is the only "non-pro" digital slr you can sync flash at all speeds. It seems to me that the capability to synch at speeds at/above 1/500th of a sec (along with the availability of great glass and durability) was traditionally the distinguishing factor between "pro" gear and amature gear. Ken Rockwell, on his site, admittedly kinda sold me on the D70 for this reason. I "very often" use a flash at high shutter speeds (see "eye shots" as example...)

That said, I think Panasonic has some tricks up its sleeve. They were somewhat late entrants in the digicam area, and produced (arguably) the best cam line for the money out there. I see them "hooking" you with an inexpensive DSLR, then "locking you in" to expensive proprietary 3/4 lenses. Kinda like the printer/ink model. That's pure speculation on my part.

Wasn't there also a press release by Pana recently that said they've developed a way to drastically reduce electrical interference that causes noise in sensors? I wonder if this will be used in their DSLR line, hence the delay.

It seems to me Panasonic assesses the market, lets the others make their mistakes (..though they've made some too) before entering. They do have the engineering capital - and the expertise, at this point to go head-to-head with the Canons and the Nikons.

They know what they're doing.
Nick

I read the Ken Rockwell review on the D70 and it was a bit of an eye opener. I knew the D70 was a good cam but after reading his review worts and all, I now know why its really that much better than the Canon 300/350's. The D70 for me is a big cam (I like the grip though, I can hold it nice and comfortably), so it'd be interesting to see what size the D50 comes in at. Your also 100% correct on Panasonic being able to break into a market and bring top of the class products to us buyers.

Also, there was a thread on the pana dpreview forum, where Dr Shene was giving his opinion on the DSLR announcement & what may be coming from PANA - and its basically what you just stated. An inexpensive body with some really good features, including that new sensor technology they've just developed and matched up with a good and fast "Leica" designed kit lens all priced at $600-700 price range. Now i would bite the bullet even at the $800 price point.

May be I need to chill out and wait - its just when you see all these new cams being introduced and with the pace of the camera world - they could just miss the entry level/new dlsr users that they are aiming for.

Harj