Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 16, 2005, 6:52 AM   #1

A good read if thinking DSLR

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm#top

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70flash.htm#vsCanon
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 6:57 AM   #2

Good link, Boyzo. Read this before. Rockwell's a bit "opinionated" but I like it. His site is very informative. This article pretty much sold me on the D70. A friend also owns one, and she let me snap a few pics. Only downside for me is that it's a very big camera but if I were buying today, it's the only DSLR I would get right now.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:33 AM   #3

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Good link, Boyzo. Read this before. Rockwell's a bit "opinionated" but I like it. His site is very informative. This article pretty much sold me on the D70. A friend also owns one, and she let me snap a few pics. Only downside for me is that it's a very big camera but if I were buying today, it's the only DSLR I would get right now.
Nick you do do your homework ;-)
Lets see how the D50 shapes up my guess is it will be smaller and have mirror lockup,and higher fps.
That plus the FZ30 and I would be happy for years.

:roll:
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:40 AM   #4

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
Nick you do do your homework ;-)
That's 1/2 the fun, isn't it?

Agree with you... for the price of a comparable long tele lens on your DSLR, your might as well just buy a Lumix. A D70 (or 50) and any of the Lumixes is all the camera(s) you'll ever need.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:28 AM   #5

Nick & John

That was a pretty good read and he's fairly straight forward with his views and backs them up too. I'm with you guys on this, an FZ30 + a Nikon D50 (depending on how good it is) or D70 would cover all bases or may be even the Pana DSLR if I can hold off till then.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:07 AM   #6

Looks like the d50 could be fun. The link shows a picture and some brief specs. It says April 20 for Nikon annoucement with a June launch.

http://digitalcameras.engadget.com/e...4000230040300/
Attached Images

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:22 AM   #7

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:

I concur with Nick. It's also the DSLR I'd pursue at this time. Will be interesting to see what Nikon has come up with in the new D50 and D70s. Cheers...thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:27 PM   #8

The only thing I don't like about the D70 is that I believe its lowest ISO is 200. If I were buying today I think I'd have to spring for a Canon D20 (and hopefully be spared a sensor dust fiasco ala Nancy). Good thing I'm so happy with my FZ-20 that I get to sit back and wait for the "perfect" DSLR to be introduced. :-)
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote