Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:02 PM   #21

You have a lot terms I do not understand!

Action

DCE

Plug in folder

PS action

Color cast correction: Know what it is but not how to do it.

New to PSE2

Point and shoot to Professional. What is the saying: Old too soon-smart too late!!!

Thanks
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 4:02 PM   #22

You have a lot terms I do not understand!

Action
-> It's a "recorded" set of steps that do things in Photoshop, like sharpening or enlarging, etc. It's exactly the same as a "macro" in MS Word or Excel if you're familiar. These are usually available for free (anyone who has Photoshop can make one, if you know how), though some charge a small fee for theirs. Fred Miranda is known for some very useful Actions (Google Fred Miranda for his site, if interested...) Actions work in Photoshop (full blown) but not Photoshop Elements (PS "lite"). Note, however, most Photoshop "plug ins" work in Photoshop Elements.

DCE
Actually it's "DCE Tools". This is a Photoshop plug-in. A plug-in is an addition or extension to the Photoshop program made by 3rd party software companies that you run within Photoshop that add more functions to the program. They're usually more sophisticated than "Actions" and have a user interface. Think of them like little "mini-programs" that run within Photoshop. Some are free, some cost $100's of dollars, as much as Photoshop itself, like Genuine Fractals (used to enlarge with minimal degredation to image quality...)

Plug in folder
Where Photoshop plug-ins "live". When you install a plug-in you either have to copy the file to the Plug-in folder in the Photoshop program directory on your computer, or the plug-in will find it and install itself there.

-> PS action
Same as action.

-> Color cast correction: Know what it is but not how to do it.
There are lots of ways, but one way that does a very nice job is DCE Tools (above), a Photoshop plug-in that costs $39, which is being discussed in this thread.

New to PSE2
PSE2 = Photoshop Elements version 2.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:57 PM   #23

I am new to Photoshop Elements 2.0. I downloaded the DCE tools but cannot figure out how to get them to work in Elements. Can you help me?
wholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 2:02 PM   #24

Open the image in Elements and in filters look for DCE. Choose what you want to do - color cast, auto enhance, exposure, etc.:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:46 PM   #25

Thank you for your reply. After posting my question I figured out exactly what you suggested. Now I know!
wholmes is offline   Reply With Quote