Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 16, 2005, 1:27 PM   #1

I don't own the FZ-20, but I understand it sometimes has issues with a magenta cast on skin tones. I downloaded the free trial for this - a PS plug-in with 7 "correction modes - including a "color cast corrector", and fooled around with it yesterday. It really did improve the flesh tones of a few indoor portraits I had taken with the FZ-1 (didn't save them or I would have posted). The "portrait cleaner" also seemed to do a nice job removing "too much" detail from skin, without (somehow) detracting detail from anything else. I didn't like autoenhance too much, though.

Thought I might throw it out there in case any FZ20'ers want to give it a try correcting. Here's the download site:
http://www.mediachance.com/plugins/
Download the file on the bottom right of the page (little hard to find...). Costs $39 to purchase - not too bad, might be worth it.

If anyone with the FZ20 bothers to try it, let us know if it works. Please post some pics. I'm curious.

C-n-P:

1. AutoEnhance
This is a popular all-in-one choice for quick improvement of any digital pictures. With options like Auto Balance, Midtones, Color and Noise Reduction it can improve even photographs that seems to be fine at first look. Just run it through AutoEnhance and you will see that even good photo can be made better!

2. ColorCast Correction
Create Vivid images! Almost all digital images suffer from some sort of color cast. The Color Cast Correction plug-in can automatically tell you what type of color cast you have (for example Blue-Magenta) and it allows you to remove it with Automatic White Balance or adjust its look with semi-automatic Color Cast slider.

3. Exposure Compensation
Are your photos under or over exposed?
No problem. Simply Compensate the exposure as if you are still working on the picture with the camera.
The image is not just brighten or dimmed but the whole dynamic range of the image is changed.

4. Hot Pixels Fix
Hot Pixels can be noticed on many digital cameras when you use exposure longer than 2 sec. These will show on image as a bright white spots. You can either use a filter which will try to eliminate these spots or use a more precise black frame method and adjust its effect.

5. Lens Distortion Correction
A typical digital camera lenses suffer from Barrel distortion (wide lens) or Pincushion distortion (when zoomed). With the Lens Distortion correction plug-in you can fix both of these types of distortion. The result is rendered using high quality Bi-cubic interpolation .
6. Perspective Correction
With perspective correction you can straighten photos of pictures or buildings when taken from an angle.
Simply fit the grid to the object edges and the reverse correction using high quality Bi-Cubic interpolation will show the image as if it was taken with your camera in the exact right angle.

7. Portrait Skin Cleaner
The Portrait Skin Cleaner plug-in will smooth out the skin of your model while preserving the details of eyes or hair.
You have the ability to adjust the strength of the filter and create clean yet naturaly looking advertisement-like soft skin.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 2:50 PM   #2

Hey Nick. I ran it on a FZ5 example since I didn't have much time and this was handy. It seems to work fairly well. I didn't play with it much so I 'm sure it could be better. I'll try a FZ20 shot later. Also I'm going try to write a PS action myself and see what I can up with.
Before

After
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 3:18 PM   #3

Looks like it works pretty decent. The few I've tried got similar results. Thanks for giving it a try. Looking forward to your FZ20 post. Thanks, nooner.

... oh, PS... that's my FAVORITE of all your many avatars. No offense to "the dark side" folks out there, I hope. :G
Old Apr 16, 2005, 6:29 PM   #4

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
... oh, PS... that's my FAVORITE of all your many avatars. No offense to "the dark side" folks out there, I hope. :G
Wrong
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:08 PM   #5

Looks like dequardo was trolling around and stopped by here instead of his usual Canon forum. Here is his opinion of th FZ

"I would disagree about the FZ3 having 'best pic quality'. S1 IS has that rather handily.":?
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:58 PM   #6

Nick, here's a FZ20 flash shot with color cast correction. Did it real fast.

DCE
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:39 PM   #7

Thanks for the great info Nick, I think you have managed to put Panasonic Bob out of business on this forum with the amount of help you give.

Nooner, Got to love that Avatar. It is always good to see there are some sane people in this messed up world.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 1:11 AM   #8

Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks

All of you, Nick, Nooner,Fredd, Bob,Treemonkey, Willow,Danny, Tchuanye, Nancy,etc.

Thanks for beeng so human, so comprehensiveand humble, here I havelearned a lot of Photography,and best of all, I found hereA LOT of good people that belive in TRUTH

I have been out for a while, my first sun ishere now ...

With all my heart

Moncho

(I`m looking for an FZ1, to start him... with IR filter to! Jaaa!)

Attached Images

Moncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:22 AM   #9

dequardo wrote:
Quote:
Wrong
Big ole' WHATEVER...

Nooner wrote:
Quote:
Looks like dequardo was trolling around and stopped by here instead of his usual Canon forum. Here is his opinion of th FZ "I would disagree about the FZ3 having 'best pic quality'. S1 IS has that rather handily.":?
I reiterate....WHATEVER.

Nooner wrote:
Quote:
Nick, here's a FZ20 flash shot with color cast correction. Did it real fast.
Anyway, hey... that looks pretty good to my eye, Noons! Looks like it did a pretty fair job getting the red out. What do you think? (Nice pic/cute kid by the way...)

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the great info Nick, I think you have managed to put Panasonic Bob out of business on this forum with the amount of help you give. Nooner, Got to love that Avatar. It is always good to see there are some sane people in this messed up world.
Treemonkey
Oh, you're welcome. It's fun, passes the time. Hey...Tree, if things get bad here, would you sponsor me? Australia seems quite a nice spot on planet earth - beautiful landscape, beaches, and bikini babes. My kinda spot. Plus I adore the aussies who post here - good people, and I wouldn't have to learn a second language! Whatdaya say, M8T? I'll buy you a Foster's. :G (Oh, could you take Rupert Murdoch back, though?)

Moncho wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks

All of you, Nick, Nooner, Fredd, Bob, Treemonkey, Willow, Danny, Tchuanye, Nancy, etc.

Thanks for beeng so human, so comprehensive and humble, here I have learned a lot of Photography, and best of all, I found here A LOT of good people that belive in TRUTH

I have been out for a while, my first sun is here now ...

With all my heart

Moncho

(I`m looking for an FZ1, to start him... with IR filter to! Jaaa!)
What a cutie!

Speaking for myself - don't mention it. No biggie. We're all learnin' together. Good spot on the net, though. I think it's cause Panasonics are owned by reglar, down to earth types, not camera snobs (though there are a few exceptions...).

Have fun with the FZ-1. It's an addictive little cam...

Nick

Old Apr 26, 2005, 2:58 PM   #10

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Looks like dequardo was trolling around and stopped by here instead of his usual Canon forum. Here is his opinion of th FZ

"I would disagree about the FZ3 having 'best pic quality'. S1 IS has that rather handily.":?
Troll? Hardly. These are opinions and my opinion is thus:

For the best color reproduction the S1 IS wins-and yes, hands down. The reddish cast under flash is especially jarring on the FZx's-at least on the FZ3 and FZ20 that I HAVE OWNED. The Canon does come at the expense of overactive noise reduction-as a result-too soft images.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote