Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:17 PM   #1

Hi all, I've posted some pictures before thinking that they were fairly good,but they were kinda bad......soI've decided to post a couple of new pictures that I took today and am open to criticism. They are some pictures that were taken along the St Johns River , one of the few rivers that flows north in the world. I've tried several different things with these pictures...I know that they aren't great but the only way for me to learn is for you all to point out what's good and what's bad (I already see some problems and I don't know how to fix them)......otherwise I'll never get better.Hopefully you all can help me.Thanks so much for your time, bentleysmom
Attached Images

bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:19 PM   #2

Another one
Attached Images

Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:20 PM   #3

last one in this group
Attached Images

Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:32 PM   #4

G'day bentleysmom, Like you I have a similar problem, I've viewed your pics and like them, therefore I'll let the 'masters' help you. I think that as you make more and more photos you will eventually see the difference between your earlier pics and what you are taking later. I sometimes will go back to where I was and try and make those pics better then compare.
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:28 PM   #5

Hazzarbone, I believe that you are right....as I look at theses photos today, I can already tell that they have problems.....and I've looked at some earlier pictures that I had taken and they are bad too. I liked some of my composition though....I've decided to try different settings on my new fz5and learn more about what I'm doing ....and then hopefully I can post somebetter pictures. You are very kind and I appreciate your encouragement. I'm so impressed with some of the pictures on this web site, that makes me determined...even if it takes me awhile. Thanks for your time, bentleysmom
Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:47 PM   #6

don't be discouraged! it takes anyone a while to learn how to get the most from a camera like the FZ. and many of the people on this board have been into photography for years, even decades... i got my first 'real' camera - a Pentax ME Super - over 20 years ago, and i find i'm learning, all over again, how to make use of light and angles and composition... i'm certainly no 'master', but here's my 2 cents...

you seem to have shot these at midday, judging by the shadows. that can cause images to appear washed out, especially with a super-zoom lens and no lens hood. try taking those same images in early morning or just before sunset, and see what happens. i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. also, get a lens hood, it will keep that Leica lens from sucking up too much light and making your images look washed out and soft.

of these three, i like the last one best. the first two are nice (#1 does seem a bit too contrasty and oversharpened - did you do any post-processing on these?), but the last seems to have the most character. it's the only one where you can really see the weathered appearance of the dock house, and that stained-glass bit in the window adds a nice touch of interest.

keep posting! you're getting better, and it really does take time to learn! most of all, take lots of pictures. try different settings, exposure brackets, lighting and angles. and don't worry too much about what other folks think, after all, you take pictures of things that YOU like, for YOUR enjoyment. time enough to worry about someone else's critical eyes later on...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:03 PM   #7

The second photo of the 3 would benefit from having about 1/4th of the right side cropped off. This would move the shack to a 1/3rd point for better composition (you do know about the "rule of thirds" don't you?) and get rid of distracting foliage, etc. along the right side. Hope that helps. Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:21 PM   #8

squirrl, I took about 25 or thirty shots late this afternoon......did all kinds of settings with the camera..better but not right yet......I did print this picture and the colors were very true..
Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:33 PM   #9

much better! the colors pop out a lot more, the water looks much more natural, and the light isn't so diffused and fuzzy. you'll find that often, the light works a lot better early in the morning, or late in the aftenoon. the longer shadows give subjects depth and dimension, and the light is less harsh and glaring. theretimes, of course, when you simply can't avoid shooting in midday sun, but a polarizer and a lens hood will help that a lot; the rest of the time, if you can take your pics before 10:00AM or after about 3:00 PM, the light is generally much more camera-friendly....

This last shot is a definite improvement over the first ones... well done!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote