Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:27 PM   #1

Hi All, There are things that I see right and wrong in these but I thought that this was interesting..... I need constructive critism to help me to learn. Boy, I realize I have a long way to go........Thanks for yor time. bentleysmom
Attached Images

bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:29 PM   #2

Here's the other one.
Attached Images

Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:25 PM   #3

The second pic is under exposed and the white balance is off. It's also soft. The subject is the gate I assume so having all that stuff behind it distracts. I can't see the EXIF so I don't know what settings you used. There is too much in the foreground too and it's too centered. Rule of thirds. You can't get enough depth of field to lose all the stuff behind the gate so may be another angle off to the side to eliminate the background. Find some position, check white balance and maybe bracket the shot to get the right exposure. take that subject since it's stationery and shoot a bunch taking note of happens when you make changes. I adjusted WB and EV on the second. The first is better exposed but has the other problems. 2cents.

Attached Images

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:43 PM   #4

Thanks Nooner, I appreciate your 2 cents. Yes, the gate was the subject and I appreciate you pointing out to me how the boathouse is distracting. I do now see the softness.......Do you always use the rule of thirds even with leading lines? Enclosed is another picture that I had taken earlier than this one where the boathouse is not so distracting, but I still didn't use the rule of thirds. I'm going back some time this week and try again taking your advice.......I appreciate so much your time and your nice adjustments to the picture bentleysmom
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:45 PM   #5

forgot the picture.......
Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:56 AM   #6

agree with Nooner. the second shot is underexposed, and the focus is off. the subject is hard to determine, because of all the stuff in the background. could you get off to one side far enough to get that building on the dock out of the way? youmight lose the "centering" of the gate on the dock, but you'd be able to see the gate much more clearly, and not have the viewer's attention distracted by the background. rule of thirds is useful, but it's only a guide... shoot what looks right to you. you don't have to please anyone but yourself at this point. i'd try getting off to one side of the gate, perhaps, and shooting from close to the same level as the dock, see what that does for you... just a couple ideas....
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:37 AM   #7

Hi Squirll, Thanks for your comments and ideas. Ater looking at Nooner's corrections my shot is pitiful. I need to do some more reading and experimenting with my new fz5. You all have been very helpful and I appreciate so much you time. Hopefully I will be able to post some good pictures here someday and it will be with y'alls help and encouragement. Thanks again, bentleysmom
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:53 AM   #8

see if you can take the gate off the dock and move it to the end of the peir :G
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 8:47 PM   #9

As nooner said, the DOF is killing the shot. Thirds is not a cast in concrete rule, but often works. One thing to try is a polarizer filter or/and a ND filter to force the A down to f2.8. Might use A mode and let the S pick a number, but don't let the highlights wash out. You can't get them back in PP. Got that? :-)Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote