Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:52 PM   #1

I don't know, maybe the FZ5 is too advanced for me. But I'd hate to return this camera as I've had itfor a mere9days now, have been playing around withdifferent settings (A, S & P),not to mentionalsoexperimenting with the the exposure bracket, shutter speed and aperturevalue. It's just thatt I can't seem to get anything right to where I'm satisfied with the outcome of each shot. Out of 30 pics I took today at the beach, only 6 came out sharp.I attempted to capture a guy riding his motorcyle at the beach using the high speed burst mode and all pics came out totally out of focus. It's pretty depressing when I check out some of your pics because they make mineappear as ifa toddler took the pictures.This sucks.:sad:

Anyway,here are my pics. If anyone want to give me their feedback, cool. If not, that's cool too.
Attached Images

mblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:53 PM   #2

Another one.
I should point out that I used the full 12Xwhen I took this shot.

Attached Images

Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:55 PM   #3

Last one.

Attached Images

Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:17 AM   #4

Looks very hazy. The hard thing about beach photography, is that you have to pick a beach where the sun is going to be behind you as you take the pics, so that the sun is hitting the subject. The first day I had my FZ20 I took it into Manhattan, and it was a cloudy day with no contrast. And with the non-sharpness of the FZ20, the lack of contrast of the day, my pics looked terrible and I hated my FZ20. But....then I learned how to use it. Remember, light is the most important thing. Have you ever seen the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Videos? The photographers wait for the right lighting, usually getting up a couple of hours b4 dawn.Sometimes nature photographers have a great subject (mountain, tree etc.) and they wait for days, just to get the right lighting. The light will make or break your photo.Never shoot at noon (well, you can shoot if you use fill flash), the sun is directly overhead, casting very ugly shadows. It looks like you just shot your pics when the lighting wasn't good. Try closer to dusk. Try using your fill flash. Also, can you increase the sharpness in the camera? I think you can. Do it. When you become more experienced with the camera, you may want to shoot with the settings in neutral, and post process in PS or another image editor. But for now beef up that sharpness. On my FZ20 it is called "PICT.ADJ" on the menu. I have my sharpness on "high" and if I was shooting on that beach, I would have cranked up my contrast to "high" also.

I know if you don't give up on the camera, you will start taking great shots, we all went thru what you are going thru. But if all you wanna do is snaps (which is cool, I also have a PNS that I use often), I would suggest returning it and getting an Olympus (the 765 &770s have a 10x zoom, and take great pics right out of the cam) or a Canon, but I don't think Canons have a 10x zoom. Good luck, and just keep shooting. Try lots of different lighting situations.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:32 AM   #5

here's a quickyedit inPS. It is a bit too contrasty. I added USM (sharpness - using Unsharp Mask). And I saturated individual colors, and played with the levels. It is a bit too much, but if you play around you would get great results. Hope you don't mind, let me know what you think. And, FYI I think you were shooting into the sun, washing out all of the colors. Try shooting it again, with the sun behind you, shining on the houses.
Attached Images

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:34 AM   #6

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Nancy, really appreciate it. I suppose I will hang on to this camera and just keep practicing at getting better. After all, I've been anxiously waiting for the release of the FZ5 like everyone else. I really like its size, look, color (mine is black)and feel of the camera. To be fair, I have managed to get a pretty good handle on macro shots (**thanks to Nooner and others who offered helpful tips) . As far as taking pictures at the beach on a sunny day goes, I figured most, if not all, would come out rather "clean and sharp" (considering that I once owned a simple point and shoot digital camera). Oh well. I just need to keep practicing.

BTW, beautiful shot of the flower pictured in your box. **Alsoin myEXIF info, the compress rate always reads 4.0 bits/pixel. Shouldn't it read 5.0 as in 5 MP?Does yourFZ0 show the same type of info?

Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:36 AM   #7

Very hazy indeed.. I have zero experience with beach shots so I'll defer to the experts on them.. That is except, I would think it's a lot like photographing Snow scenes, another very difficult subject. Light is reflecting everywhere, even if it doesn't look that way to the eye. If you don't catch it right the result is usually a dull gray looking photo.

I note that you have both saturation And sharpness dialed up. Personally, I would leave them at normal, but others experience and preference may differ from mine.

Re the burst mode, it's fun to play with but you've seen the same general result I usually do.. If your camera has a pan mode (under one of the scene menus), try it next time you want to catch a moving object..

Just relax, take a deep breath, and try to have some fun with the camera. I took about 200 shots with my FZ20 before I got one I actually liked.. Now I get one in about every 10.. I'm getting better, you will too..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:38 AM   #8

part of your problem is that the air itself is so hazy and full of crap that getting a clear, sharp photo - especially a scenic or landscape shot with longer distances involved - is next to impossible. try getting out of the city, go someplace where the air isn't thick as pea soup, and see what kind of images you get. and, like nancy said, avoid shooting during the middle of the day. midday light is harsh, and the FZ lens sucks it up like a vacuum cleaner. try using a lens hood, as well.. that will cut down quite a bit on the over-brightness and general softness of the images. the light is best in early morning, especially in a smoggy area. try those same shots at, say, 7:00 AM, just after sunup, and i'd bet you'd see a huge difference in image clarity.

the FZ cameras need good light. if they get it, they will give you amazing images. if not,yourpicswill look soft, hazy, smudgy, and generally terrible. don't blame the camera. you've only had it 9 days... give it a chance. it can do some pretty amazing things, but you have to learn how to play to its strengths and minimize its weaknesses. above all, keep experimenting, and once you've learned how to make the most of the FZ'z optics and capabilities, i think you'll find yourself very glad you kept it.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:46 AM   #9

Keep shooting. Learn to post process. A point and shoot may be what you think you need, but if you hang in there the results will be much better in long run.
Attached Images

nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 12:49 AM   #10

Much better. I take it you are using a different software; I've been using Photobase. Perhaps I should upgrade to another program.

Jsiladi, Squirrel and Nooner, thank you. Well, the weather has been fairly good as of latein San Diego, CA and so I should take advantage of it. I know there are otherplaces I cancheck out too (i.e. local parks, downtown, local colleges). I will do just that.