Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:45 PM   #1

Does anyone know the maximum speed of memory that the Lumix FZ5 will properly utilize? I asked Panasonic but they only referred me to their SD memory FAQ which lists sizes but not speeds.

Maybe someone who has one can check the owners manual to see if there is anything about this.

Thanks
xjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:12 PM   #2

For the 10 or 15 bucks you can save, why not go with an Ultra II or equivalent? Unless you digital camera is more than a year old I would always use the faster flash memory. Your next camera may need it if this one doesn't!

At newegg.com, difference between Sandisk 512MB regular and Ulta II is $11.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3

Don't know the technical answers of comparable write speeds, but I do know the results. With a regular speed SD card you will get some occasional delays between shots, depending on your settings, and infinite burst mode won't be infinite. With a high-speed card (I'musing an ATP60x 512 card),I haven't yet come across a situation where I had to wait for next pic. You will also notice the timedifference in downloading to your PC.

There are lots of 60x cards out now, and I recall even seeing a 132x card on a web search. I think that once you get beyond about 40x, there is no more gain in camere performance, just download speed.

Definitely spend the few extra $$ for the faster card.

pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:37 PM   #4

If I may offer my 2 cents. Currently the fastest transfer on SD cards is 20 MB. Most of the cards are around 10 MB. When you see 20X, 40X, and now 132X - ever wonder what "X" equals? 40x faster than ? 132X faster than what?

I've measued the 40X cards and they came in just below 10 MB xfrer rate.

I'm now usingthe SanDisk 2 GB cards which are very slow. Actual rate is about 4 MB. Yet, even in burst mode the buffer keeps up with it just fine. I don'r see any real advantage spending extra $$ for something you really won'r see a significant advantage in. Let the buffer do the work!

Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:42 PM   #5

I was thinking in terms of the Ultra II vs the Extreme III (both sandisk) and there is a substantial price and speed difference here. Ultra II is the minimum i would purchase in any case and is what i use in my other camera. Sadly that memory is compact flash while the FZ5 used SD memory.

So - does anyone know real world transfer speed of the Lumix FZ5 camera?

thanks
xjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:58 PM   #6

The reviews I have seen say its about 5mb/s
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:54 PM   #7

If so, then a 40x or anything bigger will keep up with that transfer rate, a standard card (which I think is around 1MB transfer rate) may give you delays on occasion.

As for the actual speed of a high speed card, I've seen a review of ATP's "60x" 2 gig card, comparedwhere Lexar and SanDisk Ultra II "60x" card, and the SanDisk was substantially slower than the other two.

At any rate, I suggest you price shop--go with the best price you can find for the size of card you want whose speed equals or exceeds the camera's transfer speed. Brand name probably doesn't matter, price does.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 4:42 PM   #8

Well, I just saw in another forumhttp://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52 that xjay1 just found his answer.

Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:44 PM   #9

Single speed (1x) is 150Kb/s. This refers to the standard single speed of a CD-ROM drive, so 40x = 9Mb/s
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 8:31 AM   #10

dnas wrote:
Quote:
Single speed (1x) is 150Kb/s. This refers to the standard single speed of a CD-ROM drive, so 40x = 9Mb/s
Where did you get this info. Math is off; 40x150kb/s=6mb/s. Panasonic Bob above says "I've measured the 40X cards and they came in just below 10 MB xfrer rate." That doesn't jibe with your numbers. I have a 60x kingmax card for the fz5. How would I go about measuring it's transfer rate?

To Panasonic Bob: Yo, Bob! Nice to see you back in the hood! FZ5 is looking very good. Congratulations on another fine product!

Fred

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote