Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 17, 2005, 9:45 PM   #1

TheOlympus c210 1.9x tele converter ($40 at olympus emporium specials) has a 52mm thread and fits very nicely amd closely into theRaynox rt5264p modified FZ5adapter (see http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm). Add the Canon tl55 1.4x tele with a 55mm dummyfilter (glass removed 55mm skylight filter here) attached to the front of the c210 and you have a 2.66x for a total 35mm effective focal length of 1160mm!Handheld!

Here's the rig.

Here's a bumble bee tasting some fine early maple tree buds from about 25ft away with this setup at 12x zoom handheld. Resized only with a wee bit of sharpening. Click pic for original. The fz5 was in macro mode.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:10 PM   #2

Nice shot!

It may be just me, but I notice a slight amount of vignetting around the border -- anyone else?

But... I"m a believer that if you're happy with the results, that's all that matters!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:11 PM   #3

WOW:!:
That looks impressive. And from the looks of it, the image quality is pretty good, considering all that glass:G
I did not know that you could use tele's with the FZ in macro mode!
Seems I learn something from each of your post's Fred

Charles
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:52 PM   #4

that'simpressive! a bit soft as far as focus, and there appears to be the slightest hint of vignetting - just a touch of shadow/fuzziness - at the corners, but consideringhowmuch glass you're addingto the base optics, it really works pretty well! anything that can get that good an image of a 1/2" long (or less)insect from 25 feet away is respectable performance in my book!

but... why would you shoot in macro mode with that much teleconversion on?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:08 PM   #5

I was curious about that too... My guess is that in macro mode the camera picks the closest object as the focus point, and if you didn't use it you would not get the DOF that you see in that shot, at least at 25 ft away.

Well, I stand corrected on that theory. The FZ5 actually has a "tele-macro" mode setting that is implemented at full 12x telephoto in Macro mode. Focuses from 1m and out in telemacro... per the Panasonic FZ5 manual.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:45 AM   #6

1160mm focal length, shooting 25ft away with this setup at 12x zoom handheld...

:shock: unbelievable.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:31 AM   #7

It is soft on focus and there is vignetting. This is not a setup that would be used very often but it can be done. This combo would not focus at 25ft with the fz1. The fz5 macro focus at 12x from 1m apparently is the difference.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote