Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 17, 2005, 10:52 PM   #1

The Raynox dcr6600pro .66x wide angel converter works as nicely with the fz5 as with the other fz cameras. However, the alignment of the fz5 sensor/lens/adapter seems to be somewhat more askew towards vignetting on the right. At any rate, it is very important to get the wa lens as close to the camera lens as possible since vignwetting is more likely to occur at the wide angle (1x) end of the zoom. In order to get the 52mm threaded dcr6600 as close as possible, the FZ5 adapter was modified to use the 52mm Raynox rt5264p adapter. See http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm

Here's the set-up.

This shot taken with this set-up. Click pic for original.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:30 PM   #2

Do you forsee any issues with the plastic threads?
s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:32 PM   #3

Um - never mind my question - I just looked at the link.
s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:41 AM   #4

Very nice, Fred. How do you like the FZ-5?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:07 AM   #5

Great stuff, I am considering getting a WA but am trying to decide which one. Have you noticed that the raynox makes a HD6600 and the SRW-6600 which is 58mm thread rather than the 52mm on the DCR. I assume this would eliminate the issue with darkening at the corners but I would like to know how the optics match with the FZ series.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:15 AM   #6

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
How do you like the FZ-5?
Hi Nick,

I like the fz5 but there really isnt anything that jumps out at you as a vast improvement over the fz1. Having the PASM on the mode dial is much easier to work with vs going to the menu when you want to be in A or S priority. The af assist and stronger flash make for somewhat better indoor flash shots. I'm still not impressed with fz low light capability, but 90% of what I'm interested in photographing is outdoors in good sunlight, anyway. Of course the 5mp gives alot of crop room and that's really the main reason I got the fz5 even though I am a frim believer in the very acceptable quality of 2mp 8x10 prints.

The one major thing lacking on the fz5 isirsensitivity. As we know, the fz1 takes wonderful ir shots. So, if I had to choose between an fz1 and an fz5, I would take the fz1. Fortunately, I dont have to make that choice. I have both and willcontinue to use the fz1 frequently for ir.

I haven't really run a comparison between the two cameras so my comment about choosing the fz1 may be a little premature. I'm still getting used to the fz5, which, BTW, fits very nicely into this fz1 lover's hands and doesn't take a whole lot of getting used to. The focus on the fz series is funky and the fz5 isslightly different in its own way. That's what I have to get used to. Then, after I've become accustomed to the fz5, I'll pick up the fz1 for a little excursion and see how it handles. Will the fz1 be slower to respond? Will the color be less/more accurate? Will there be a noticeable difference in detail? We'll see.

Fred
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:20 AM   #7

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Have you noticed that the raynox makes a HD6600 and the SRW-6600 which is 58mm thread rather than the 52mm on the DCR. I assume this would eliminate the issue with darkening at the corners but I would like to know how the optics match with the FZ series.
I have also wondered about the difference in these models. From what I've seen, the lens looks to be the same. The only difference seems to be the attaching thread diameter. So, if you have 58mm adapter, get the 6600 with that thread.