Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:54 AM   #1

I have an FZ10 with a polarizer and a UV filter attached. I just got the polarizer a few days ago and had some general questions, it is a circular polarizer from Hoya.

1. I don't see the changes reflected on the LCD when turning the filter in Auto mode on the camera.

2. There is a line on the filter ring, what is this used for?

3. Do I always have to remove the polarizer when not shooting pictures of the sky/water or can I spin it a certain way so there is no polarization.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
wolves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2005, 8:33 AM   #2

wolves13 wrote:
Quote:
I have an FZ10 with a polarizer and a UV filter attached. I just got the polarizer a few days ago and had some general questions, it is a circular polarizer from Hoya.

1. I don't see the changes reflected on the LCD when turning the filter in Auto mode on the camera.
Quote:
You need to make the 1/2 press of the shutter to do the metering and then turn the filter
Quote:
2. There is a line on the filter ring, what is this used for?
Quote:
It should point towards the sun
Quote:

3. Do I always have to remove the polarizer when not shooting pictures of the sky/water or can I spin it a certain way so there is no polarization.
Quote:
Yes remove it as it blocks about 2 stops of light
Quote:
These answers were just my opinion and I have been wrong before
Quote:

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:25 PM   #3

The polarizer must be used in Manual mode or, as correctly suggested by Genece, turning it after the metering has been done with half shutter press: if you use it in P-mode, this will try to compensate for the darker environ with a lower speed, and it would thuse be useless..

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:32 PM   #4

I was looking for an easier way than doing the two-step process--switching to manual mode, setting the CPL, then back to P mode.

Quote:
You need to make the 1/2 press of the shutter to do the metering and then turn the filter
:idea:Of course!! I should have realizedthat. Thanks!
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote