Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1

I can remember someone on the forum saying that Canon 20D estimated shutter life was about 100.000 photos.
I also heard that CCD should last for about 30.000 photos.

Has anybody heard of any specs for FZ series? Or the other way around - how many photos have you taken with your FZ cameras?

I have had my FZ20 for 4 months and have taken over 10.000 photos so far. If the numbers above hold true, I may be looking for a new camera by the end of the year.
lukkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:30 AM   #2

I don't know for sure, but the FZ has a electronic shutter where the Canon is mechanical. I would think the FZ will do many more shots because of the lack of moving parts.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 2:49 PM   #3

Hmm, I think I'll cool down my pic taking tempo :-) I don't wan't to buy a new camera atleast for some 2 years, it wouldn't be very nice if the camera would actually brake down. But if it eventually will happen - Is it fixable?

Cheers!
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:21 PM   #4
TCB

30.000?? Not true at ALL!!

That wouldn't make ANY sense.

I know guys that have taken well over 30,000 already with their 20's. Well over 100,000 with their 10D's....

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:21 PM   #5
TCB

Double post...
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 5:08 PM   #6

Digicams should last for hundred of thousands shots so don't worry about that.
I don't know what is the record of most captured shots with digicam,
but the best result i know of is 80.000 shots with Minolta 7Hi.

It is more likely that the camera will breakdonwn by abuse than old age,
though the cameras LiIon battery will be dead in 2-3 years no matter how you use it.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:12 PM   #7

lukkiee wrote:
Quote:
I can remember someone on the forum saying that Canon 20D estimated shutter life was about 100.000 photos.
I also heard that CCD should last for about 30.000 photos.

Has anybody heard of any specs for FZ series? Or the other way around - how many photos have you taken with your FZ cameras?

I have had my FZ20 for 4 months and have taken over 10.000 photos so far. If the numbers above hold true, I may be looking for a new camera by the end of the year.
The CCD does heat up its why its on a heatsink so it can eventually fail due to thermal cycling.
Only moving parts are the lens assembly and the zoom lever /
shutter button.
Seems from this thread the FZs can have a long life tho'
Appears that large memory cards and burst mode is accounting for some people creating a huge no of shots ;-)
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:44 PM   #8

i'm nowhere near five digits in total yet, but i do find it very easy to burn off 100+ frames on a sunny afternoon. i purchased an extended warranty with my FZ20, tho, so if it DOES crap out sometime in the next 3-4 years, i'm covered. and by then, i suspect i'll be considering something newer and more capable anyway...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:43 PM   #9

CCD's and electronic shutters shouldn't wear out in any digital still camera -- camcorders from the mid-80's are still going strong, and think of the number of frames they take.

If CCD's only did 30,000 frames, there'd be no market for camcorders -- they wouldn't last a week.

It's more often failed capacitors and flimsy external controls that kill off these things (plus, of course, built-in obsolescence...)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:58 PM   #10

I have absolutely no real data, but I have a hard time believing the lifetime would be measured in a small number of 10's of thousands. You'd see these things wearing out in a year, for some folks.

Just seems improbable somehow... something in the 10^5 or 10^6 range I might believe.
s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote