Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:03 PM   #1

Hi all, I'm getting my Fz20 in a couple of weeks once the house sale goes thru so forgive me for asking this but...

I notice some people do B&W shots. Is this a setting on the camera or is this done afterwards using computer software?

Also can anyone reccommend a fairly easy to use photo program that doesn't cost much yet has a good selection of tools so that I can "tidy up" my images abit if I so desire?

Cheers all

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

You'll surely enjoy the camera.. B&W can be done either way, with the camera or in post processing.. Personally I prefer the latter as shooting In b&w leaves me with no other options..

http://www.picasa.com/

http://www.irfanview.net/

http://www.gimp.org/

All priced just right..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 1:36 PM   #3

Photoshop basically the standard in photo editing.
Paint Shop Pro another good and user friendly software.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:36 PM   #4

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
Personally I prefer the latter as shooting In b&w leaves me with no other options..

Ditto. I always shoot in colour as I can easily convert to B&W later. Going the other direction is much, much more difficult.

suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:47 PM   #5

Thanks guys, i think I'll do it in colour then convert.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I've looked at Picasa, (loved the way it indexed my pics I've already got!)but not the other two yet, but certainly one of them will do to get me started.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"regards, Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:21 PM   #6

I cannot agree that shooting in B&W leaves no other choice.

I set the camera for sepia because I use that a lot and then when I want color I move the wheel to Landscape/scenery. That way I shoot B&W/Color at will without having to go into the menu to switch. The landscape works for me because i shoot a lot of landscapes and in general I like the way it makes the sky and water blue and the trees and grass and mosses green.

If i then want a B&W from either color or sepia I desaturate . So there is a three way choice like that. Works for me. Bob

You can see the results of this method at http://northland.smugmug.com
bob ingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:49 PM   #7

Nice gallery Bob. I think what was meant by shooting BW is that if you take a pic in BW it is very difficult to colorize it to make a color photo. What you do is take the color out of the sepia/scenery photo to get BW. That is something different than shooting in BW to begin with. 2cents.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:22 PM   #8

Nooner I had simplified my answer a bit. I will be in either B&W or Sepia depends on which I really want most. Switching from sepia to conventional B&W in PP is a last option but it is a valad one. I have never desaturated a sepia into a straight B&B but i know it is a valid option if needed.The point is that either sepia or straight b&w can be set and still shoot color without going to the menu bar. Hope that is what he was asking but if not just disregard. Cheers. Bob
bob ingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:39 PM   #9

Noisewise I am quite sure that a BW pic from the camera is better than a Color one desaturated in PP (although one can then eliminate noise too).
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote