Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:09 PM   #1

Hi all, just read the "latest news" on the Steves digcam site (I take it the same Steve?)

It states Canon took the market share last year., But what I found interesting was that the commentator suggests that SLRs will over take Prosumer cameras and the days of long telephoto lens and prosumers was over.

Really?? What is the benefit of the SLR over say the Z20? Why would you want to lug 2/3/4 diffent lenses about with you when a big good quality zoom would suffice?

To my illogical and tiny brain, I would have assumed the days of the SLR are over.

Do SLRs have better resolution? how why? assuming the current trend ofbetter megapixels and lower noise ratios of Prosumer cameras, are SLRs better?

I do appreciate that if you already have several lenses form your existing SLR setup, then being able to "reuse" them is certainly a bonus, but is that alone enough of a reason?

Your comments please O Learned Ones!

Yours, totally confused, Woody:?
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:49 PM   #2

The size of the sensor seems to be the determining factor on the prosumer cameras. I shoot with a FZ10 andI have learned enough to push the camera to its limits. Another year or so and I will be looking for a step up. I really would like to see the next version of the FZ's from Panasonic.I am hoping thePanasonicwill havea similar lens configurationand a bigger sensor. This will get more ISO speed and lower light preformance.

And yes....a gain up feature!
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 6:58 PM   #3

ukwoody wrote:
Quote:

Yours, totally confused, Woody:?
Here is a good site with a lot of pros and cons RE DSLR / prosummer

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:24 PM   #4
VP

Kindof like comparing the Prosumer to an instamatic. (Maybe not quite that drastic)

Speaking of the future, here is an interestingarticle that talks about the digital camera issue. This is from the Financial Times of London (which I have not verified) found on another site.

Japanese exports of digital cameras fall in February

The decline in exports reflects falling global demand and a saturated market. However, demand is still growing in North America.

By Michiyo Nakamoto

Financial Times

Exports of digital cameras from Japan fell for the first time in February, highlighting the rapid reversal of fortunes in what was once a fast-growing market.

Japanese digital camera exports in that month totaled 3.29 million units, a decline of 0.9 percent year-on-year said the Camera and Imaging Products Association.

On a value basis, the decline in exports was even steeper, at 11%, reflecting the sharp drops in digital camera prices that have plaged the industry.

The decline in digital camera exports by Japanese manufacturers, which control about 80 percent of the world market, reflects the deterioration in the balance of global demand and supply as manufacturers have increased shipments in spite of growing market saturation.

Exports to Europe, in particular, declined 10.7 percent, for reasons not clarified in the CIPA report. The large drop in shipments to Europe wiped out a 3 percent increase in exports to North America.

The deterioration in the profitability of the digital camera market was underscored recently when Sanyo Electric said it would make a bigger-than-expected loss in the year ended in March, due to declining demand for its digital cameras.

Sanyo is the world's largest maker of digital cameras, most of which it supplies to third parties that market them under their own brands.

The group had initially forecast digital camera shipments for the year ending last month of 18 million units, but was forced to revise this figure down to as little as 11 million.

However, Sanyo said the sharpest decline came in the Japanese rather than overseas market.

Meanwhile, Olympus said it would make an $166 million operating loss in its imaging division, which is believed to be largely as a result of losses in its digital camera business.

The pressure has hit Kyocera, which last month said it would wind down production of current models and not develop new ones.

In spite of the gloomy news elsewhere, the value of digital camera shipments within Japan rose moderately in February helped by the shift to more expensive, single-lens reflex cameras.

Both Sanyo and Sony, a major supplier of digital cameras that expects to have increased shipments from 10 million in fiscal 2003 to 14 million last year, said they expected price trends to stabilize this year.

VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:39 PM   #5

Great article, VP. They're taking a bath on digicams. Of course! Truly a flooded market if ever there was one. Next, they'll flood the DSLR market. Already happening. Good news for the consumer.

Interesting Sanyo is such a key background player. Wonder who they're OEM'n for?

Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:47 PM   #6

Film cameras had "personality". They were finely crafted precision instruments - that, like cars, people became attached to... held on to for years. Now? These things are disposable - like freakin' disposable razors. It's partlywhy I'll hold on my FZ1v2. I've had the damned thing less than a year. I'm still of the mindset that you buy one "good" camera every decade or so? Choose carefully, do your homework. And that camerais your baby, like back in the film days. I almost feel like it's wasteful to upgrade "intrayear". That's just me though.

BTW...still have (and use...) my 35mm SLR. It's STILL fun to shoot. Something about clickin' off a frame of film... CLACHUNK. At least it's still funfor me.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:27 PM   #7
VP

Nutz isn't it, this disposable thing? I used a Petri slr for years that was probably 20 years old when I got it. I loved that old camera but it finallydied on me and repair wasout of sight. Then on to Canon and Nikon. But I wanted to go digital soI start with the FZ20 but DSLR is in my sights. Prices may be on down before long.

It is interesting about Sanyo and did a little looking but didn't come up with much. Seems like they have developed something with Kodak butcan't say if they OEM for them.

Old Apr 19, 2005, 10:20 PM   #8

i bought my FZ20 after a good deal of research and reading reviews, and i have no intention of buying another camera any time soon. the '20 does just about everything i want a camera to do, with the possible exception of extreme low-light/high-ISO work, and i don't do much of that anyway. for what i want from a camera - good optics, a wide zoom range for everything from scenics to wildlife, and good image quality with enough resolution for nice, sharp enlargements, the 'Z20 does just fine. perhaps in 3 or 4 or 5 years i may find myself having outgrown its capabilities, or perhaps it will crap out, or maybe something new will come along that just flat blows its doors off at a price i can't refuse (digital cameras are, after all, creatures of the fast-paced, short-life-cycle electronic age), but short of that, i don't see getting a new camera in the near future. i'm very happy with my FZ, and look for every opportunity to use it... i couldn't say that with a film SLR, even when i was first into photography 25 years ago with my Pentax ME Super...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:40 AM   #9

VP, WHY do you want to go down the SLR route in the future? What is the benefit over your ordinary digtal? thats what I'm trying to understand. I just don't get it:?

Regards Woody

By the way, geart article.
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:04 AM   #10
VP

If my FZ20 had higher ISO's, better low light capability and more resolution, I may not consider a DSLR. I really do like an optical viewfinder over the EVF.

It's not that I care to carry around bags of lenses. What I have does a great job within it's abilities (probably more capable than I am)and for now will probably wait to see what develops.

Did I mention that I lke better low light capability? lol