Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:36 PM   #1

Here is the modified version of the Coffee Can lens hood. Again, the limited materials of cardboard and elecrtical tape with some black spray paint.

I have not had the chance to try it out, but initial looks showed no vignetting. Now the question is, how do I make this out of something more rigid so it does not get crushedand doesn't cost a bazillion dollars!
Attached Images

imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 5:37 PM   #2

From the Front.....
Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:47 PM   #3

Imaruke, you might want to look at the CONTAX #5 metal hood it has 86mm thread mount and you can probably get an adapter ring to fit to your lens. It's available from B&H photo by special order for $29.95...it's my understanding that this hood will fit perfectly on a TCON 14B which has 86mm thread.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Here's a pic of it.
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 2:52 AM   #4

Thinking "outside the square" a bit, you might try an offcut of plastic tube -- the stuff used for waste water etc.

There are usually bits of it around building sites and plumber's shops.

I think it can be had in diameters around what you're using and it wouldn't be hard to spray it black.

Certainly be almost uncrushable.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 3:00 AM   #5
Mag

I believe Idle is refering to PVC pipe a great idea, its very tough and available in several sizes, and adapters, Ihave seen it inblack too.

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 6:25 AM   #6

look around for plastic containers the same size .They would retain there shape even if sqwished or somthing. You could fabricate a metal ring for the end.PVC pipe would work but alot harder to get it perfect and light wieght Unless you had a laithe and alot of specialty tools .I like your inovation apraoch .You've inspired me to fool around with it and maybe make some other gadgets :G.Also how did you attach it to the camera?
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:40 AM   #7

Pappy, on the telelens I adapted an 86mm UV filter by removing the threads and attaching it with black tape. I got the idea here from one of the members.

For the hood, I used 2 pieces of 1/4" foam core board that made the base thick enough that is slides on and stays securely. The outside is cardboard (2 layers) and black tape

I enjoy toying with different things as much as taking pictures.

Hiroshi, thanks for the info on the Contax metal hood. I may order one and try it for that price.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:17 AM   #8

im new to photography myself , what exactly is the purpose for the hood ?

also whatdiameters and lengths are needed ? I can attach a tube by using my spare Raynox RT5264 .Its looks like the perfect size might be a 32 fluid ounce brake fluid container or a 1 ounce can of R34A - AC coolant ( this would be strong and light)
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:27 PM   #9

Pappy, I shoot outdoors mostly for sports and I cannot always be in the right position with the sun behind me. It depends on how the field is laid out. Sometimes I can be shootingtowardsthe sun. The long hood allows the lens to be in the shade so there is no lens flare. This is tough shooting because the subjecthaslight behindthem and getting the right exposure can be tricky. I try toget the front illuminated without blowing out the rest of the scene, but it is hard.

The length ofa hood depends on the lens type and where it interferes optically with vignetting. A telephoto lenshas anarrow field of view and longer hoods can be used. Wide angle lens use short hoods.

Gosh....I am actually starting to understand all of this stuff. Next I'll be talking about depth of field and.....whoa!

Anyway, excuse the self realization moment, I took pictures this past weekend in excellent conditions with a bright sun. I had my coffee can hood on and was all set until the team came out on the field in their silver blue, shiny, shiny, shiny, did I say shiny, uniforms. The heck with trying to shoot. I was like trying to take pictures of a mirror. I had alot of problems trying to get the right exposure and focus. I guess that is what they call "Live and Learn".

Hiroshi, I ordered the Contax hood this morning. Thanks for your insight.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:33 PM   #10

imaruke wrote:
Quote:
until the team came out on the field in their silver blue, shiny, shiny, shiny, did I say shiny, uniforms. I was like trying to take pictures of a mirror. I had alot of problems trying to get the right exposure and focus. I guess that is what they call "Live and Learn".

Like a mirror eh? Maybe they were "reflecting on thier success...." LOL:G
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote