Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:16 AM   #1

Dear fluzzy gurus,

I'm trying to capture some pictures with split-second timing and I'm finding focusing to be a challenge. Here for example, I'm trying to catch the moment the kids hit the water, in focus, but there is no way when using auto focus as it takes too long. So I switch to manual focus, as in this shot, and try to prefocus on the area where they will hit,in this case unsuccessfully. I also have the shutter speed pretty fast (1/500) to capture the action. Would using a higher ISO than 100 and/or raising the f stop to 8 help?

Please help the clueless newbie. Any tips are much appreciated. :?

Attached Images

beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:57 AM   #2
Mag

Hello beernutz,

I have not taken any action shots yet so bare that in mind..But heres what I would try if I was at the pool. First try your same settings, but switch back to auto focus and focus on the water where theyl splash inbefore they jump, then when they jump push and hold the shutter down and get multiple shots in continous mode. You maybe able to slow your shutterspeed down some and moving up a fstop or two to get a greater depth of field but a high shutter speed is good idea. Also maybe try focusing on the edge of the pool behind the girls depending on your DOF that may work also.

just what I would try, good luck!

Best regards,

Mag
Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:15 AM   #3

The one thing that I do not understand ...is when the subject is out of focus there is usually something in focus. And I do not see that in this photo.

I also do not know if the shutter speed needs to be that fast maybe 1/250 and

while I almost alway use spot focus this may be the condition for center focus.

One other thing if you are using continuous autofocus try with it turned off.

If you get something figured out let us know as I am going to be shooting photos of my grandkids in the same situation in a couple more weeks.

Good luck.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:49 AM   #4

Mag wrote:
Quote:
Hello beernutz,

I have not taken any action shots yet so bare that in mind..But heres what I would try if I was at the pool. First try your same settings, but switch back to auto focus and focus on the water where theyl splash inbefore they jump, then when they jump push and hold the shutter down and get multiple shots in continous mode. You maybe able to slow your shutterspeed down some and moving up a fstop or two to get a greater depth of field but a high shutter speed is good idea. Also maybe try focusing on the edge of the pool behind the girls depending on your DOF that may work also.

just what I would try, good luck!

Best regards,

Mag

Thanks for the suggestions Mag,I'lltry the lower ss/higher fstop suggestion and the switching between manual and auto focus next time.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:53 AM   #5

genece wrote:
Quote:
The one thing that I do not understand ...is when the subject is out of focus there is usually something in focus. And I do not see that in this photo.

I also do not know if the shutter speed needs to be that fast maybe 1/250 and

while I almost alway use spot focus this may be the condition for center focus.

One other thing if you are using continuous autofocus try with it turned off.

If you get something figured out let us know as I am going to be shooting photos of my grandkids in the same situation in a couple more weeks.

Good luck.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions genese. I think perhaps some of the water may be in focus although it is hard to see in this picture. I know I was holding the camera steady and letting the girls jump into the shot and trying to time the shutter release to catch them right on top of the water. I'll try adjusting the continuousautofocus settings and spot/center focus and see what happens. If I find a combination that works better I'll post a picture with EXIF.

Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:20 AM   #6

This is the best I can offer:

Set iso manually to 200-if that's not enough, 400. Set shutter to maybe 1/250. let aperture pick it's own setting. Your picture is out of focus-the camera did not focus-not a matter that the action was too fast. try to prefocus by pushing release down halfway beforehand or manually focus on the spot where the action will take place.

SLK
cshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 12:46 PM   #7

Beernutz, I shoot sports primarily and I am always at 1/640 or higher. I try to stay at 1/1000 ifit issunny and bright,and ISO 100 (prefer ISO 50 but not at these speeds).

I use a combination of A, S, or M modes depending on the day. Lately I have been setting the shutter speed to 1/1000 at ISO 100and letting the camera pick the aperature. I can stop a hard hit softball in airso you can see the laces. This is all because of the bright sunlight.

The best shot will come at F4.0. This seems to be the best for my FZ10.Pick your spot where the actionwill occur ahead of time, setup the shutter speed and see what the F-stop is. Adjust your shutter speedup or down slightly to be in the neighborhood ofF4.0.Also set the camera to burst mode. Once you get used to the speed of the burst mode, you can time the action so you get the shot you are looking for.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:27 PM   #8

Fantastic, thanks cshel and imaruke, those look like excellent suggestions that I will definitely try. It was a bit overcast the day this photo was taken butit was light enough that I was able to get some good ISO 100shots when there was no action.

The Sun Belt Conference is having its Men's and Women's Tennis Championships here starting Friday and since I really want to get some great sports shots of this so these suggestions are like gold.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:56 PM   #9

That's cool beernutz, I do the ACC thing.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote