Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 20, 2005, 8:55 AM   #1

I have some pictures to share that I took with the FZ1v2. Most of these were on the fly and I was using three different cameras. I was busy snapping away. The FZ1v2 did a great job of getting the captures I wanted.

Click on thumbnail for larger photo. I am posting like this for our dial-up posters:blah:

Happy Shooting All!

Click on thumbnail for larger photo.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:36 AM   #2

Lots of NICE stuff here, Tom. Needs a second look, for sure. 2 megapixels gets it done...
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:44 AM   #3

Great series, viZNquest.

I especially like the water/architectural shot with the docks in the foreground.

Also, your candids of some local Windy Citians give a great overview of the cosmopolitan mix of cultures in Chicago.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:14 AM   #4

Thanks NickTrop and digicamfan,

I will be going back for sure and get more shots of the Windy City. It had to be one of the most beautiful days I can remember since moving out here to the midwest.

I never actually walked the city of Chicago before but I find it to bea very "cosmo" city with so much to see and obviously shoot.

This was my first attempt at taking candids and it was a bit nerve wracking for me to be honest. I do like the results and it does give a good representation of the day I had there.

The one I like especially is the gentleman that is reading "Photography" magazine.

I will be posting more when I get out and about.

Mahalo,

Tom

P.S. FZ1v2 does get it done in spades.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 2:12 PM   #5

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I will be going back for sure and get more shots of the Windy City. It had to be one of the most beautiful days I can remember since moving out here to the midwest.

I wanna go toooooooo! Seriously, Viz, looks like you do my kinda roaming once let loose on a habitat! Excellent job - Thanks very much for the tour :-)
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:08 PM   #6

Very Nice series Tom so sunny and saturated, yes some are still on dialup (me)

very cool work on the thumbnails and links.

the FZ1v2 shots are great full size you kept the Highlights well exposed and this shows in the image quality.

The two Women in black one reading great capture my fav.

btw post some thoughts on the Pentax *istD and Pics am interested

John
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:47 PM   #7

Nice work Tom. The FZ1v2 is a lot of fun and it dones seem to have the best color of the FZ series IMHO. I'm with John about your impressions of the *istDS. :arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:01 PM   #8

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Nice work Tom. The FZ1v2 is a lot of fun and it dones seem to have the best color of the FZ series IMHO. I'm with John about your impressions of the *istDS. :arrow:
Bob here is a read on the *istD
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...tax-istd.shtml
In Aus the price of the *istD is now line ball with the 300D with kit lens I think I like the *istD.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:44 PM   #9

I decided Pentax like I did with Panasonic. Great cameras that the general population knows nothing about.

I am not a bandwagon billy and I am not putting down the other cameras because all brands have some very capable cameras. I just wanted something a bit different and that I felt had more bang for the buck and that the quality is important. I don't hear too many gripes about Pentax or Panasonic and the examples that I have reviewed had me leaning to what I have now.

The fact that 40 years of lenses are still compatible. I have SD cards. Three battery types can be used. The kit lens is very good and fast enough for me. The noise level is not an issue even at 3200 iso. The controls are very intuitive. The feel of the camera is solid throughout and not a monster like the D70 which would be my second choice. The cost though put it a very distant second. Hopefully, when the D50 comes out it will get people excited in getting into the DSLR action. I want to take pictures now and did not want to wait for the next DSLR to be the one. I got the Pentax *ist Ds for $800 with the kit lens at Ritz. I did not intend to buy anything there but when I inquired about it since it looked like they were stocking it and they also had one last FZ1 for $200 I was like a silly fool. Wait.. I am a silly fool. I already have an FZ1 so I tried out the Pentax in the store and was impressed how easy it was to operate and how it felt in my hands.

I find the colors to be accurate and quite vibrant. I dont do much more than crop and/or resize. PP is minimal for me using the Pentax. I got the Tamron 28-200mm lens today with UV filter for $200. Got that at a local camera shop here in town where I just moved to. I can't wait to shoot with that one. I have three more days to decide and well I decided to keep it after my shooting in Chicago. I will be going again in a couple of weeks to use the new lens and see how that goes.

I did post a few shots in the Pentax forum and Critique forum as well.

Using the FZ1v2 was a blast for taking candids. I was not as comfortable using the FZ20 or the Pentax but will give it a go nonetheless. I am very pleased with the Pentax and my Pana group.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:14 PM   #10

Tommy you forgot about the best part of the day

LUNCH
Attached Images

erkada is offline   Reply With Quote