Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:12 AM   #1

Hi everybody, I was wondering how common is Lens stacking, i.e. two separate add on lenses combined.
I've noticed this done with Macro by a few posties on this site.
:?:
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:30 AM   #2

i was wondering the same thing :roll:, I have taken a few macros with a magnifying glass .Now im contimplating on building my own Macro and tele photo lensjust for fun :?
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:54 AM   #3

I'm not sure how common it is, but tchuanye has got it down to a very fine art. Do a search for his post's. He stacks the 6t with a sigma close up lens.

So far as tele and macro, I don't know. It would be a good experiment. I'd like to see the results.
Brenno9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:57 PM   #4

Stacking close-up/macro lens is fairly common as long as they have front threads. The nikon 6t and 5t can be stacked to yield a +4.5 diopter (3 + 1.5, respectively), for instance. Stacking a tele and a macro is not so common. Here are comparison shots of the raynox dcr250 (+8 diopter)alone and staked with the olympus c210 1.9x tele. As the comparisons show, stacking the macro lens on the front of the tele increases magnification. Whereas, stacking the tele lens on the macro reduces the magnification.

FZ5 w/ dcr250

FZ5 w/ c210 + 250

FZ5 w/ 250 + c210

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:43 PM   #5

See http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shenefor info on converter stacking by a pro. Also try the normal lens from a 35mm slr camera reversed for extreme macro results.
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:24 PM   #6

Great stuff fmoore. Thanks for posting these.
Brenno9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:39 PM   #7

You're welcome, Brenno. The olyc210 isnt really a high enough quality lens to be very useful for this purpose other than as a demonstration. It's the only tele I have with front threads and that was done by pressurefitting a 55mm dummy filter into the front of it. I plan on making a fitting for my tl55 so that it can be stacked with other lens. That should work better but, actually, this is all rather moot since the dof is almost non-existent and therefore of very limited use. Nevertheless, it's interesting.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote