Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:17 PM   #1

I guess this is really two questions.

Am I right to assume that aftermarket FZ3 lens and filter kits will also work on FZ5's?

Are the inexpensive kits that you see on Ebay any good, or is it better to spend a little more and get a name brand?

Ebay has a $99 kit with wide angle, telephoto, and 3 filters here; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:07 PM   #2

It sounds kinda cheap for two "super quality" as they say lenses and 3 filters. But I'm not an expert so I don't really know. But I've never belived in something like this: retail price 399 but we sell two of them for 99. besides 3 good quality filtes costs 99$. I would byu it only if I could try them before and see if they are really as good as they say, but I doubt it.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:24 PM   #3

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
Am I right to assume that aftermarket FZ3 lens and filter kits will also work on FZ5's?

Are the inexpensive kits that you see on Ebay any good, or is it better to spend a little more and get a name brand?
Yes to the first question.

This stuff is probably junk or close to it. If the example photos are accurate (which is highly unlikely), the tele and wa are among the best. In the case of the wa, it is nothing short of a miracle! Thier stated retun policy suggests that you can get a full refund (or a least 85%). If that's true, you would incur shipping costs only (~$15). If you do decide to get this set, please let us know how it does.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:35 PM   #4

The WA is a fisheye, which I am not very excited about. The company that is selling them has been around for quite awhile on Ebay. They brag a lot that their lenses are Japanese, not made in China.... Still, for $99. it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the input. Any particular brand of teleconverter and filters that you would recommend?

Edit: found the link for the kit that has the teleconverter that is NOT a fisheye lens.
It's here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:58 PM   #5

Irecommend a Canon tl55 1.45x tele. It's relatively small and has 55mm threads so will connect right to the fz5 adapter.Excellent lens. $90 at adorama. While you're there, get a 55mm Hoya multicoated uv filter for lens protection ( $18 ). Leave it and the adapter on at all times. You can connect the tl55 to the uv filter. This will have the added benefit of giving you metal threads which will wear alot better than the plastic adapter threads.

For a fz5 w/ tl55 example, see http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:02 AM   #6

Here is a real good article on teleconverter tests

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...e-Compare.html
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:16 PM   #7

Great comparison article. Thanks.

Edit: I did order the $99 lens/filter kit from panwebi.
Should be here next week. It has a 2x teleconverter, .45wa, macro ring, and 3 filters, along with a cheapie cleaning kit and mini tripod.

I will put some comparison photos up when I get the stuff :-)
Old Apr 25, 2005, 4:08 PM   #8

About leaving the UV filter on at all times. Having used the FZ5 and a Raynox Filter with the Raynox sleeve adapter indoors with the flash, I get a shadow in the lower section of the picture from the extra size and length of the lens. Do you mean to leave it attached at all times when using the camera outdoors or are you using a second flash indoors to eliminate the shadow issue?

I just bought the FZ5 last week and have been testing it out in as many situations as possible, especially since I'm new to photography asides from my, now replaced, Olympus D510 Zoom :lol:

Thanks in advanced Fred or whoever answers this!
penguin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:43 PM   #9

The adapter does need to be removed for onboard flash. If left on it casts a shadow.
Old May 1, 2005, 5:58 PM   #10

Got the lens set and they really are lousy. The teleconverter renders a photo that is so blurry as to be unuseable...better off to use the camera's digital zoom.

Kit comes with a 52-55mm step ring (silver) and 3 filters, which are supposedly coated.

The wa lense was ok, not nearly as bad as the telephoto one. I'd say it adds about 35% to the FOV, and it has some fisheye to it. Overall, I'd say a waste of money.

Fred, If you could only buy 1 each for the fz5, which teleconverter, macro and wa would you choose?