Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:41 PM   #1

I just received my FZ5 in the mail, and I think it is great. However, I have some questions about noise. For a while I have been considering either a Canon model or a Panasonic. For a beginner like me, that will be printing mostly 4x6s and some 8x10s, is noise something to worry about? Does canon do better overall with image quality and less noise? Is this something I would even be able to notice between a canon and a Panasonic?

Thanks for the help.
kpdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 6:58 PM   #2

Hey there. Congratulations on your new camera!
For printing at the sizes you stated, i dont think you'll have any problem with noise. As long as they are reasonably photographed, they should look tac sharp and i doubt you'll see any noise whatsoever on the prints. I have the FZ20, which many people have complained about being noisey... but this is only noticeable when viewed at full size, and even then i think its pretty acceptable.
As for the canon, i assume you're talking about the S1 IS. From what i've seen , in my opinion, the photo's seem a little soft, and dont quite capture the detail i've found with my panasonic. This might just be personal preference, but i'd rather have the slightly higher noise level (i dont even really notice it, seeing as i usually only view at maximum of 60%) than have some of the details blurred.
I'm sure you wont regret buying the panasonic and hope you have lots of fun learning to use it!
spidamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3

noise is a subjective thing... some folks notice any trace, others can live with quite a bit. the Panasonics tend to generate some noise at higher ISO settings, so to minimize it, use ISO 80 or 100. For 4x6 prints, like Spidamonkey said, you won't even notice it. in an 8x10, you might. if it bothers you, get one of the free download noise reduction programs out there, which will let you clean up most noise so that it's all but unnoticeable even on an 8x10.

is the Canon less noisy? you already got the FZ5... so the Canon doesn't matter! learn to use your FZ to maximize its capabilities, and just enjoy having a fine camera!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 1:28 PM   #4

Noise differences are much clearer when you examine the pics 100% rather than on small prints, where it can be hard to detect.

It is annoying, for it increases file size and makes pics look more dirty.

I often do NR via PS plugins, but only in the underexposed or unifor colored (skies, inner clouds, bokeh zones) and undo it with History brush in the parts of the main subject: all NR progs tend to erase or soften the fine details like flowers' petals' surface or similar textures making them flat, smooth 8especially when NR is applied to the resized image).

This is also another waste of time which would be better not to have been forced to do. But FZs have many strong points, so these little "sins" are easily forgiven them.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 1:32 PM   #5

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
all NR progs tend to erase or soften the fine details like flowers' petals' surface or similar textures making them flat, smooth 8especially when NR is applied to the resized image).
i've found that there's a happy medium, where the NR is enough to clean up the pic without oversoftening the image or erasing detail. you definitely need to mess with it a bit, try different settings, and see which levels of NR work best on what kinds of pictures. i've had some very pleasing results with PictureCooler, and i've had some not so good, depending on how much NR i've applied. it can be a fine balance...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:22 PM   #6

I've done a little of this in the Gimp. What I've found to help sometimes is to select a region with the "select by color" tool. Often you can select the whole blue sky very easily, and not even apply any noise reduction to the rest of the image.

Also "Intelligent Scissors" sometimes comes in handy.
s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote