Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:48 PM   #1

Ok, I'll admit they were all auto-focus, but I used the lens-shader, and optical zoom for all of these. Not a bad job for my first try.

I tried to get a close-up of the bird in the last picture, but with auto-focus they all came out blurry.
Wagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the fz1derful world, Wagg. Lookin good. The fz1 tends to overexpose. Best to back off on the exposure compensation to -1/3and often-2/3. Use spot focus on relatively small subjets such as the snake and last bird. You've got yourself a great little camera and there is a whole lot you can do with it. Have fun! Enjoy! And post some more pictures!

Fred

PS: I see from the exif that you have upgraded. Good move. Do you have a uv filter to protect the lens? That's a good idea.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:32 PM   #3

Why do I need a filter if I'm using the lens-hood? Which ones would you recommend?

Also, I just noticed something strange. Even though I purchased a 1Gb SD card, the camera only lists I can store 1k photos max. I should be able to do 2k at highest quality.

In any event the knock-off batteries are cheap now so I just purchased 2 more for $20 off eBay, so I'll be all set for my next trip to the preserve. Those were all taken athttp://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Co...moor/index.phphere in Natick, Ma.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:19 PM   #4

Wagg wrote:
Quote:
Why do I need a filter if I'm using the lens-hood? Which ones would you recommend?

Also, I just noticed something strange. Even though I purchased a 1Gb SD card, the camera only lists I can store 1k photos max. I should be able to do 2k at highest quality.
I keep the adapter and a 55mm uv filter on at all times for lens and extension housing protection. The uv filter will not effect the quality of the photo. You can still attach the hood with the uv filter on. You can pick up a uv filter for ~$20 at a local Ritz store -multicoated Quantaray is what I have.

Standard/high compression gets ~2000 shots per 1g. Fine/low compression gets ~1000.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:33 AM   #5

Nice! You have "the eye" for composition. #3 is blown out but I'm sure you know that. Outdoors, bright light, it's better to underexpose. If you use PS (or any other photoeditor that lets you control brightness and contrast) you will be amazed by how much detail can be brought back - even if the pic is 2 stops too dark.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:20 AM   #6

I will get thefilter as fmoore describes and give that a shot.

I didn't want to fool around with photoshop yet, just wanted to show my first try. I have some others I'll post, including a Heron nest way up in a tree.

I need to work on manual mode. Had I done "spot mode" I probably would have been able to get a close up of those pretty little blue and whitebirds.I tried to get close to theirbird-houses but they would"buzz" me. :shock:

Particularly interesting was that I spoke with a guy with $2000+Canon and huge telephoto lensand he said something about my Lumix being a nice camera as long as I don't try to print out anything higher than 4x6"s.

Love that Brown-HeadedCowbird tho. That was my first shot on the way into the preserve, and probably my best. It was right there.

Old Apr 23, 2005, 3:52 PM   #7

More fodder:

The Heron was so far away that was the best I could do at 12x. Look at how huge the nest is! Maybe later in the year I'll be able to get some shots of it feeding, along with some White Egrets.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 6:28 PM   #8

Wagg wrote:
Quote:
I spoke with a guy with $2000+Canon and huge telephoto lensand he said something about my Lumix being a nice camera as long as I don't try to print out anything higher than 4x6"s.
Bullshit. The fz5will get youexcellent 16x20 prints. Your new posts are still overexposed. I guess they were taken the same day.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 7:28 PM   #9

Wagg wrote:
Quote:
Particularly interesting was that I spoke with a guy with $2000+¬*Canon and huge telephoto lens¬*and he said something about my Lumix being a nice camera as long as I don't try to print out anything higher than 4x6"s.
Camera snobs! Uhhh. If I ever get a DSLR will I become one of them??? If I do, will someone on this forum put me out of my misery??? :ak47:

I have 1/2 dozen, perfectly fine to my (or anyone's) 20/20 eyes, absolutely wouldn't know the difference how many megapixels the camera had that took it, framed 8X10's about my humble abode - from my 2.1 megapixel FZ1v2. I prefer 5X7 prints with the same camera.

When you get around to getting a photo editor, if it's photoshop, look up and download a free action called "interpolateThis"... or better yet, get Q-image for prints. It adds fake megapixels to boost pixel density for prints... costs $39.

Fred is right on the money. That Canon guy is a moron. Guess he had to justify a camera that costs around 10X as much as yours, whose lens has a longer reach than his Canon.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:36 PM   #10

i was amazed at a 8x10photo i printed out on a HP Printer on photo paper very crisp and detailed and im a nube :lol:nice captures btw
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote