Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: Is the no gain up idea a feature?
Yes it is a feature, I love it. 2 1.63%
No it isnt a feature, its a problem. 71 57.72%
I want Panasonic to remove this feature in future models 49 39.84%
I do not want panasonic to remove this feature in future models 1 0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 23, 2005, 7:11 AM   #11

To paraphrase the regular programmer's letout: "That isn't a feature -- it's a bug."

And it sure bugs me!

Anyone in Panasonic's R&D care to leak a copy of the source code? :-)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 7:11 AM   #12

Oops -- double post = clumsy fingers...
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:49 AM   #13

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Anyone in Panasonic's R&D care to leak a copy of the source code? :-)
Panasonic Bob indicated that it is NOT solvable in software - but what do I know:?

Ian
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:23 PM   #14

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
DynamoHum wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic doesn't care about what we want as users.
Universal truth - #1 reason why projects fail? Lack of user input...

You're taking a picture - indoors, low light. On-board flash is ready to go, only I can't frame the picture on account of ????

Some "feature". C'mon Panasonic.

(Ahhh... you want to actually SEE what you're framing? EVF/LCD "black out" is a "feature" of our digicams. Well, dear user, you'll have to wait for our DSLR line to come out in 2006. They have a different "feature" - that allows you to see how to frame the shot...)

:angry:

Tis a damn crap feature - I might as well shut my eyes when I taking a pict in low light in doors

Come on Panasonic pull your finger out and give us gain up and a real optical viewfinder + zoom ring + bounce flash + free ££££/$$$$$!!!

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Idle wrote: Anyone in Panasonic's R&D care to leak a copy of the source code? :-)
Ian48Harry wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic Bob indicated that it is NOT solvable in software - but what do I know
It might not be completely solvable in software, but it ought to be possible to rewrite the relevant section so that the lens stops down on the second press of the shutter button -- you could then compose with it at f2.8.

But then again -- what do I know...

Can't even take a decent photo these days :|
Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:32 PM   #16

For what it's worth, there are a couple of partial work arounds to the famous "feature", as discussed recently on DPReview.

When the FZ3 is used in the "simple" mode (heart symbol) the EVF/LCD does not become darker when the shutter is half-pressed.

Set the Mode dial to P, then set the Exposure Compensation to +2eV, and the EVF/LCD will appear brighter (although it will show more "noise"). Then set the Mode dial to A or S, and the EVF/LCD will remain brighter. Set the aperture (for A) or shutter speed (for S) in the usual way, and the +2eV exposure compensation will not affect the result. (Note that P mode can't be used with this technique as it would overexpose by 2 stops.) The EVF/LCD will still become darker when the shutter is half-pressed, but not as dark as it would otherwise be. Note: it is important to remember reset the Exposure Compensation after this work-around, because otherwise the setting will remain at +2EV, even when the camera is switched off.

FZ3 FAQ: http://pie.midco.net/treasuredude/fz3faq.html
Ian
ianperegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:08 PM   #17

You missed the point ian. The workarounds have been discussed. The idea here is to get Panasonic to listen up. Get it?
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:32 AM   #18

It is good to see people sharing their thoughts. Hopefully Panasonic will see this and realise we are not stupid and stop calling it a feature. I would be content with Pana admitting their mistakes and learning from them.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:43 AM   #19

The best work around that I've seen and been able to use was given by John, aka. boyzo - set the cam to macro and hey presto the LCD is nice and bright better than in A/S modes and it works. So that to me proves that if in Macro mode the LCD and EVF are nice and bright in low light then they should be able to fix the problem.

Harj

:G :? :| :blah:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:03 AM   #20

I have a question about the gaining up issue and the FZ5. I have been playing around with my FZ5, and I was quite dissapointed on how murky and dark the screen gets when using the camera in low light conditions. Although I already knew this was a weekness of the camera going into the purchase, I didn't think it would be that bad. I noticed though, that when I use the camera in P mode and then increase the EV value to +2 that everything becomes much more visible. However, would this effect the quality of the image when I take a picture? Or does the camera revert back to it's optimal settings when I actual click the shutter button?
kpdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote