Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: Is the no gain up idea a feature?
Yes it is a feature, I love it. 2 1.63%
No it isnt a feature, its a problem. 71 57.72%
I want Panasonic to remove this feature in future models 49 39.84%
I do not want panasonic to remove this feature in future models 1 0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:39 AM   #21

kpdesigns wrote:
Quote:
I have a question about the gaining up issue and the FZ5. I have been playing around with my FZ5, and I was quite dissapointed on how murky and dark the screen gets when using the camera in low light conditions. Although I already knew this was a weekness of the camera going into the purchase, I didn't think it would be that bad. I noticed though, that when I use the camera in P mode and then increase the EV value to +2 that everything becomes much more visible. However, would this effect the quality of the image when I take a picture? Or does the camera revert back to it's optimal settings when I actual click the shutter button?
Please see my post above - you would overexpose by 2 stops if you do that in P mode, but not if you use A or S modes.
Ian
ianperegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:46 AM   #22

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Universal truth - #1 reason why projects fail? Lack of user input...
Could'nt agree more Nick...

At my job, it is the users who dictate the software we write. They are the most important resource, and the key to successful projects.

As far as the FZ gain up thing... I don't know why they would not be able to make the thing gain up, which makes me wonder if there is a reason why they can't.

Could it be something to do with the f2.8 throughout the full zoom range?

Could it be something to do with the sensor size?

Could it be that they just don't feel like doing it?

What I do know is... they re great camera's and if they fix this feature/problem/bug I will be happy about it. And if they don't... I will still enjoy my FZ20

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:11 AM   #23

bobc wrote:
Quote:
NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Universal truth - #1 reason why projects fail? Lack of user input...
Could'nt agree more Nick...
Bob, the the Project Management Methodologies class I teach , I have the students on the first day read along with me the entire CHAOS report by the Standish Group, and we have a group discussion about it. It outlines nicely why projects fail. Top 3 reasons:

1. Lack of User Input
2. Lack of Executive Support
3. Lack of Clear Specifications/Objectives

Nail those three, your project will likely be a success.

If interested, here's a link to a pdf file. It's about 12 pages or so. A real eye-opener. A little dated, but still highly relevant.

http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/docs/chaos_report.pdf

Dig it! In May I will be teaching courses in digital photography/digital imaging. I will also be teaching courses in digital videography, Photoshop, and video editing/FX with Premier and After Effects. Yipee! So far two other instructors asked to sit in my digital photography course.

I recommended they purchase some FZ-20's and a Nikon D70 (<- can you say "mine"? Kidding, of course...).
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:52 PM   #24

I'm glad but at the same time disappointed I read this thread. I had been planning on purchasing a FZ5 or FZ20 in the next couple of weeks, but I don't think I can live with not being able to see what I frame indoors.

Such a shame because the cameras have got such rave reviews but none of them really pick up on this lack of gain. I was really looking forwards to getting my hands on one of these cameras but if Panasonic cannot do anything about it I am afraid I shall look elsewhere.

My current cam is a HP945, again Hewlett Packard know of problems with this cam but have never released a firmware update in the 18months+ to resolve the problems. If Panasonic are tarred with the same brush as HP, which don't care,then I shall go looking at companies that do.

I was getting really excited too.:evil:
photosmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 5:40 PM   #25

Quote:
I'm glad but at the same time disappointed I read this thread. I had been planning on purchasing a FZ5 or FZ20 in the next couple of weeks, but I don't think I can live with not being able to see what I frame indoors.
Hold up there.. It's not that you Can't see to frame indoors. It's that in Manual mode (no camera auto adjustments for aperture and shutter) the screen becomes darker in low (read LOW) light conditions. You are free to buy what you want but, the FZ20, in my experience anyway, is plenty useful indoors, even in low light.. It would just be Nice if it brightened up some in those conditions.. If you have the opertunity, try one out before you buy it.

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:45 PM   #26

I just want to clear things up, The FZx series cameras are great cameras with a small problem. I certainly would not see the gain up issue as a camera killer but rather as a nuisance. All I wanted to show with this thread was that it wasnt a feature and most people didnt like it, then possibly Panasonic admit its problem.

I love my FZ10 and I dont regret buying it but what I dont like is how Panasonic doesnt seem to be listening to its customers and it is that issue rather than anything else that would stop me buying another FZ.

My theory why Panasonic wont fix the FZ is because it would make the camera to good and there would be little to improve on for new models and hence people wont trade up. I think the "feature" will be removed with the FZ30 and then Panasonic will say wow look at this new great camera everyone trade up. This may be a rather pessimistic view of the corporate world but it is just my 2cents worth.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:21 PM   #27

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Bob, the the Project Management Methodologies class I teach , I have the students on the first day read along with me the entire CHAOS report by the Standish Group, and we have a group discussion about it. It outlines nicely why projects fail. Top 3 reasons:

1. Lack of User Input
2. Lack of Executive Support
3. Lack of Clear Specifications/Objectives

Nail those three, your project will likely be a success.

If interested, here's a link to a pdf file. It's about 12 pages or so. A real eye-opener. A little dated, but still highly relevant.

http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/docs/chaos_report.pdf

Dig it! In May I will be teaching courses in digital photography/digital imaging. I will also be teaching courses in digital videography, Photoshop, and video editing/FX with Premier and After Effects. Yipee! So far two other instructors asked to sit in my digital photography course.

I recommended they purchase some FZ-20's and a Nikon D70 (<- can you say "mine"? Kidding, of course...).
Congrats on the photography/imaging courses Nick...

I skimmed through the artical and saved it to my hard drive for a refference. Thank you...

I am lucky enough to work for a company that believes in the right way of doing things. We use extream programming (if you've heard of it) and our system is an nTiered fully OO system. This enables us to do things in small steps so we can change as the company changes as well as making several small costs as opposed to one big cost.

One gigantic problem that I have seen (at least from a programming point of view) is that many companies do not want to change to OO development because the they will have to pay more for higher level developers and they don't want to pay for all the development software required. What they don't realize is that it would save them money after the initial investment and their projects would be succsessful over 90% of the time.

I have worked in systems that turned into a big bowl of spigetti because they where not built using OOP. They just keep adding on and patching up this massive mess until it becomes impossible to work on anymore.

Anyway... Great news on the upcomming classes, and thanks for the link.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 3:47 PM   #28

uuhhhh, can I just query something here. How can 52 results be 96% of the votes and 38 be 66% percent of the votes - that alone makes 162% of people's votes...:?

I knmow maths isn't my greatest strength but it really doesn't seem right.

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:52 PM   #29

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hold up there.. It's not that you Can't see to frame indoors. It's that in Manual mode (no camera auto adjustments for aperture and shutter) the screen becomes darker in low (read LOW) light conditions. You are free to buy what you want but, the FZ20, in my experience anyway, is plenty useful indoors, even in low light.. It would just be Nice if it brightened up some in those conditions.. If you have the opertunity, try one out before you buy it.

Jeff
:G
Darn it, now you got me thinking again. I do want to try one of these cameras, but none of my local stores have them. So from what you are saying, the camera is perfectly useable inside under say two 60 watt bulbs if it is set to anything but 'M'?

Are we talking equivalent to a SLR viewfinder for what you can see or worse? If it is the former I can live with that. I wouldn't even want to use the 'M' mode indoors, which I guess you are saying, that all other modes provide enough light to see?

Sorry so many questions in one, but if I am to replace an already good quality albeit slow 5mp superzoom, I NEED to know, thanks to you all for your valuable input:-)
photosmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 6:39 PM   #30

ukwoody wrote:
Quote:
uuhhhh, can I just query something here. How can 52 results be 96% of the votes and 38 be 66% percent of the votes - that alone makes 162% of people's votes...:?

I knmow maths isn't my greatest strength but it really doesn't seem right.

Woody
The poll usedcheckboxes, not optionsand you can choose more than one checkbox, but only one option.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote