Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: Is the no gain up idea a feature?
Yes it is a feature, I love it. 2 1.63%
No it isnt a feature, its a problem. 71 57.72%
I want Panasonic to remove this feature in future models 49 39.84%
I do not want panasonic to remove this feature in future models 1 0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:03 PM   #1

Hi all,

In case people didn't realise the Panasonic FZ series has a "feature" than means the LCD/EVF wont gain up when using manual mode.
I personally, and I know many others don't believe this is a feature. Let Panasonic know what you think so they may start to realise it isn't a FEATURE!

Please vote.

You can select two boxes for each vote. Is it a feature and do you want it fixed.

Treemonkey

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2005, 9:58 PM   #2

Tree.. I voted and I'm sure you can guess what I marked. I believe this feature does not gain up in all modes not just manual. Panasonic Bob said something about small apertures, etc. Even at wide open f2.8 you still don't see what you can with your eyes. So there is actually a negative gain.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3

And me voted too, its a first class pain...gain-up that is.....it just dont happen
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2005, 10:40 PM   #4

2 and 3...
panasonic should fix this PROBLEM as soon as posible.
as stated in the previous post that panasonic bob replied:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...43&forum_id=23

(also a 640x480 movie mode would be cool , will the venus II engine be able to handle it?)

ltcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:54 AM   #5

For all the good it's going to do, I voted.. Pretty much the same as others from what I can tell. Before I bought the FZ20, I read back in this forum about a year or so looking for complaints.. Ran across several requesting a firmware update for the FZ10, lots of arguments about it, a promise that something may be eminant, and then it fell flat on it's face.. Several models across the lumix line have been released since then, no change. In spite of what Panasonic Bob says, they don't seem to be listening or just simply don't care.. If it bothers us that much the only way anything is going to happen is for people to speak with thier closed wallets. Lack of a gain up hasn't bothered me that much but I'll admit that it's annoying when the screen darkens. It would be nice if it simply held its' level somehow.. We shouldn't have to frame in another mode and then switch.. If I wanted to spend that much time fiddle-farting around I would use my film SLRs and TLRs.

If it were a matter of software space, I would GLADLY give up that dumba$$ video mode. I honestly think they'll continue to blow smoke and do nothing from there. They're never wrong.. Just ask them. I still love the camera, don't get me wrong, and I knew of its' shortcomings before I made the purchase. However, thier subsequent release, the FZ5, clearly demonstrates they have ZERO intention of addressing this with more than a passing memo around a meeting table to stay the course.. It goes on ALL the time in the engineering community, especially one that's managment (bean counter) driven..

The word "feature" to describe this is laughable.. In the auto engineering world, certain phrases or words are never to be used. One of my favorites is the word Fire.. Instead, it's a "thermal event".. So those ford pintos in the early 70s weren't catching on fire, they were experiencing a thermal event. Get the picture??

My 2cents and votes..

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 1:28 AM   #6

Panasonic doesn't care about what we want as users. The bottom line is what they look at. It's a giant company focused on profit unlike say Nikon who listens and provides firmware updates addressing user needs. I won't buy another Panasonic. I may keep the FZ20 as backup, but there are many aother companies producing top quality cameras. Panasonic got a jump on ultra zooms but hasn't been creative in following up. I voted but it's a joke if you think they give a sh**. Bye Panasonic:blah:
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 1:57 AM   #7

DynamoHum wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic doesn't care about what we want as users. The bottom line is what they look at. It's a giant company focused on profit unlike say Nikon who listens and provides firmware updates addressing user needs. I won't buy another Panasonic. I may keep the FZ20 as backup, but there are many aother companies producing top quality cameras. Panasonic got a jump on ultra zooms but hasn't been creative in following up. I voted but it's a joke if you think they give a sh**. Bye Panasonic:blah:
Perhaps a DSLR ;-)
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 3:13 AM   #8

I think if question #3 were worded better you would get a greater response IMHO.
tnq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 4:17 AM   #9

I realise this is a joke and I dont expect Panasonic to care, I did it to prove a point to Panasonic Bob.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:49 AM   #10

DynamoHum wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic doesn't care about what we want as users.
Universal truth - #1 reason why projects fail? Lack of user input...

You're taking a picture - indoors, low light. On-board flash is ready to go, only I can't frame the picture on account of ????

Some "feature". C'mon Panasonic.

(Ahhh... you want to actually SEE what you're framing? EVF/LCD "black out" is a "feature" of our digicams. Well, dear user, you'll have to wait for our DSLR line to come out in 2006. They have a different "feature" - that allows you to see how to frame the shot...)

:angry:
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote