Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:33 AM   #1

:?:?A quick question from a lurker.

Does anyone have any experience with "factory remanufactured" FZ20's?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere. If it is, please direct me.

Thanks,

Art
ArtD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 5:56 AM   #2

I've never bought a "remanufactured" Lumix but I've had a 100% success rate with other "remanufactured" items. Just bought a remanufactured RIO mp3 player - works a charm. I have no quams about it - in fact, it's a relatively good way to save a few bucks imo, as long is the item comes from a reputable re-seller with a no hassle return policy and the item has the same standard warranty.

I would stay away from gray market stuff, and usually demo models though (like I want 100's of people's mits all over the damned thing, wearing it out to save $20.00). Bottom line, as long as it isn't worn from use, and I can return it, or get it fixed, without a headache - no problem. Thumbs up on remanufactered and open box/recent customer returns imo. ymmv.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:45 AM   #3

I had a friend who worked at Dell Computers and he said the remanufactured computers were really a good deal. He said the new ones were put together, started up and then out the door they went.

If said if they came back with a problem then each item was tested, reassembled and then sold as a remanufactured. He said the remanufactured had much better testing than the new ones. My guess is that a remanufactured camera would be much the same.

As NickTrop said, make sure you get a good warranty just in case.
rcci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:49 AM   #4

My FZ-20 was factory refurbished. I purchased from Vann's for $450 in early Februaruy. It looked brand new, arrived packaged like brand new with all the components - software, cords, battery and charger, lens hood and adaptor, manuals and factory warranty.

In other words, it was impossible to distinguish it from a new one, and it has performed flawlessly. Vann's only had two of them and I was lucky enough to see them on their website almost immediately after they had posted them. I checked again 10 minutes after placing my order and the other one was gone too.

BTW, it was a black one too. I had all but made up my mind to get a siver one because of the price difference even though I preferred black. I feel very fortunate to have been in the right place at the right time and would not hesitate to purchase a factory refurb again.
pggunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:03 AM   #5

Thanks much for your informed opinions.

Regards,

Art
ArtD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:18 PM   #6

My laptop is a Dell Remfg'd unit. Had it a year now and no problems. Ford remfg engines meet more stringent specs than their stock "new" engines. If Panasonic did the remfg, I think they are a great deal.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote