Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:22 PM   #1

I did a double take the other day when I spotted this old dinosaur hiding behind its contemporaries. Thought it might be an interesting post. And then again maybe not.:yawn:......:sleep:
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 1:27 PM   #2

too bad you couldn't have gotten around the other side to get the hull and decks in... looks like an old square-rigged schooner... or perhaps a modern recreation of one... can't tell from just the masts and bowsprit.
squirl033 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 1:36 PM   #3

This pic gives me the opportunity to evidence another annoying feature in FZ2 (only?).

When images are resized, even without any sharpening applied, thisngs like ropes, wires or cat vibrissae get evidently aliased.

With Photoshop it seems that bilinear resampling (in Image size menu) does better than bicubic in this case, but the results are bad the same?

Do you also experience this with other cameras?
Strange that this occurs with a 5mp camera (indipendently from in cam settings, also with all at LOW) while my 3Mp A300 seems to be less prone to this problem.

A problem with diagonal resolution ??? ??? ???

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:23 PM   #4

I've noticed the same issues, but it seems to be related to the pixel ratio in the resize, not the camera. Sometimes if I use 800 as the horizontal pixel count, I get terrible aliasing. I undo the resize, and try a couple more (i.e 802, 797) and usually one will work much better than the others. I would love to know what the "magic formula" actually is, but after a crop it will always vary and rarely be 800x600.

Could the ship you saw be this guy? (Taken with a Canon S100)
Attached Images

trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:51 AM   #5

One of the "tall ships" ran aground a few months ago. Don't know where you live, but if it's on the west coast, maybe you saw this one after it was recovered.
http://www.pbase.com/brode2/irving_johnson
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:32 AM   #6

Hi Trooplewis. Neither of the two ships is the one in my picture. The bowsprits and masts are different and both of the ships in your pictures look very well maintained. The one I shot looks like it needs major work. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a better shot at it another time.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote