Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 23, 2005, 1:54 PM   #1

Hi all, Finally got to physically see an FZ20 today after a 500 mile round trip! (still didn't get chance to hold it, never mind.)

1) seeing it now "in the flesh" so to speak, it looks rather front heavy, with it's big lense taking up so much space. So how is it too hold? Front heavy? well balanced?

2) when I get mine in a couple of weeks now, I will want to eventually play about with macro settings. Can you get Macro lenses to asttach to it? How do they attach? and can you get 3rd party ones to fit? (is it right you have to use the anti flare shroud to fit them???? (if I ever get good enough to do Dragon fly pics like our friend in Singapore I'd be well ruddy happy!!!! - sorry I cant remember your name )

Thanking you all in advance

Woody

ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:09 PM   #2

The FZ20 is well balanced and lighter than it looks. Read thru this. It should answer a lot of your questions. The FZ10 and FZ20 operate basically the same. Good luck.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:16 PM   #3

It does look pretty front heavy, but is suprisinly well balanced, and have had not problem when handling it. Its also not too heavy, but feels suitably solid, to me anyway!
spidamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:42 PM   #4

uk...like everyone else in here states, the FZ20 is a pretty well balanced instrument. The lens are its focus and the part that probably weights the most and its a bit off center, but thus far I have not felt uncomfortable holding it and working with it. When i bought it I had already made up my mind that bulk and weight was not going to bother me (considering the fact that this is thefirst camera I ever bought that even had something other than an Auto mode..lol). So I am supremely happy.

Macro lens...I think most of us use 3rd party lenses (remember that you will need a 3rd party adaptor to use these). The Nikons (either the 4T or 6T), seem to be the most popular...and are probably the ones thatwill work best for someone starting out.

A bit of advice...try and hold off on buying stuff till you feel the need for it because you have stretched the camera to its limits. Remember the camera can do a lot of stuff on its own and your talents will call for additional stuff as you grow in your skills.

one purchase you might want to make is a UV lens...just to serve as a protector for your camera lens. its cheap and doesn't affect your picture quality, but helps protect your camera lens from any damage.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:55 PM   #5

Thank you all guys.

Nooner that will give me some bed time reading,lol (swine, living in the seychelles!)

India, thanks, you made some very vaild points.

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote