Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:45 PM   #1

Most often my use goes like this:

(1) Walk around with the camera off
(2) Turn it on and take a pic or two
(3) Turn it off and walk around some more

I'm thinking that a sizable fraction of the watt-hours of my battery must go into repeatedly extending and retracting the lens! But I always keep the plastic shrowd on, so really, I don't need to retract the lens each time. I'd like to have a mode that did nothing mechanical, but shut off the EFV and all the electronics.

Plus, it would save wear and tear on the motor. At the end of the day when I'm all done, then I want the lens to retract.

s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:26 PM   #2

Great idea...I concur!
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:35 PM   #3

While you're waiting for this to happen (which it aint), consider getting a digipower dps9000 external li-ion battery. It connects via cable tothe fzac/dc jack and screws into the tripod hole. It's about as long and wide as the fz1/2/3/4/5 and will add about 1" to the bottom of the camera. The camera will not go into sleep mode with the dps9000 connected. Get use to using the evf rather than the lcd (a good idea, anyway), and you will get a very long battery life; the equivalent of 2-3 fz batteries.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:39 PM   #4

Yep, I do use the EVF except for some rare cases where I can't get my eyeball next to it.

I have thought about making my own battery pack to plug into the jack. I have a good supply of NiMH AA's that I could use.

Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:07 AM   #5

s_xyzzy wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking that a sizable fraction of the watt-hours of my battery must go into repeatedly extending and retracting the lens! But I always keep the plastic shrowd on, so really, I don't need to retract the lens each time. I'd like to have a mode that did nothing mechanical, but shut off the EFV and all the electronics.
Hear hear! I'd kill to have a firmware for my FZ20 that left the lens extended when powered off. I've got a Raynox adapter on mine all the time, so there's no point in it retracting.

I'd want it just to save the startup time, if nothing else. Of course, Panasonic will never give it to me.
Ty_Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:54 PM   #6

Ty_Bower wrote:
Quote:
s_xyzzy wrote:
Quote:
Hear hear! I'd kill to have a firmware for my FZ20 that left the lens extended when powered off. I've got a Raynox adapter on mine all the time, so there's no point in it retracting.

I'd want it just to save the startup time, if nothing else. Of course, Panasonic will never give it to me.
So perhaps just let the camera go into sleep mode after n minutes. The lens stays extended and the electronics burst into life when you half-press the shutter.

Ian
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:37 PM   #7

Hmm - on my FZ5 the sleep mode retracts the lens, which then extends again when you wake it up. I just tried it to be sure I wasn't mis-remembering.

Maybe the other FZs are different in that regard?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 5:22 PM   #8

s_xyzzy wrote:
Quote:
Hmm - on my FZ5 the sleep mode retracts the lens, which then extends again when you wake it up. I just tried it to be sure I wasn't mis-remembering.

Maybe the other FZs are different in that regard?
Same thing happens with my Fz20...
Smith2688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:50 PM   #9

You also have to re-set things like auto-braketing; when you wake the camera back up, it's gone.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:03 PM   #10

Yes, I also agree, :idea: do you think there is a way to contact the engineers at panasonic to program a firmware to do so? I would actually pay for this since I had lost some really nice captures waiting for the lens to get ready. Or even better, maybe we have some software engineers that can hack the firmware to do this (I don't know whether this would be legal though:? Let's try something out
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote