Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:07 PM   #1

Been wanting to askfor quite a while (but thought it was a silly question) re what sizes you people take your photos in and why? I'm using a 265mb card and take all my photos in the highest jpeg resolution....therefore I only get 100 at the largest pic size ranging down to 1186 for 640 x 480, apart from the obvious, the quality is the same..........like to know your answers

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Hazz
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:18 PM   #2

Harry.........I take everything at the highest resolution so I can have the max amount of data to produce images. It's cheap to get memory for both the camera and the PC. The quality is not the same in the small sizes. 640x480 is ~0.3 megapixel. It is barely good enough for PC viewing and printing would be ugly. I would invest in larger cards and batteries and shoot full res. You can always delete or reduce the file size in the PC. 2cents.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:23 PM   #3

Thanks nooner, you reply was a hell of lot more than 2cents worth, many thanks again
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:48 PM   #4

Hazz, I second what nooner said, plus think of it this way...what if while you're reviewing your photos, you come across one that really looks great and you want to do a large print to put on your wall....but wait...oh no, you just realized that you shot it at low rez. That's why I always shoot at the highest rez possible, I'm always hoping, in spite of my inaptness, that I'll luck out and shoot thatrally goodone.
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:02 AM   #5

Ok, that being said, my original thoughts were on the FZ 20, I've set the quality to the highest jpeg (not tiff) but reduce the size, it should be the same. Obviouslly not, tho some of my pics didnt seem that much different, true I haven't tried printing any either.

Inow see what you mean..........many thanks

Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:32 AM   #6
VP

Same here Hazzarbone. Been wanting the 8+ megapixel . Ha, problem I been having is being able to enlarge and savemy crop (using included software).Think I got that worked out. Digital darkroom is obviously new to me.
VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:00 AM   #7

i use max resolution at all times. i find that it's better to have the pixels and not need 'em than the other way 'round. besides, if i try to get tricky and set different sizes, i find i tend to forget to set it back to max, and then when i see a great shot, i don't have the camera set for full image resolution! with a 512MB card in my FZ20, i can get about 260 pics, and i have a second 512 and a 256 card for back-ups. memory is cheap enough these days, it just doesn't make sense to scrimp on image resolution just to save space on the memory card...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:20 AM   #8

what is the proper resizing method ?
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:14 AM   #9

Proper for?

That all depends on what you want to resize for.

Also, at the highest rez you have some lattitude to crop your shot and still have a high quality shot for printing.

If you want to know the proper size to post here that would be 720x540.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:22 AM   #10

Hazza

Mate - nooner was spot on an couldn't put it any better.

Harj

:arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow::arrow:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote