Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Panasonic / Leica (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica-29/)
-   -   how to photograph moon fz15 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/panasonic-leica/53444-how-photograph-moon-fz15.html)

claybird Apr 23, 2005 11:35 PM

what setings do i use? i tryied manual focus and zoom but i dont see any detail on it is there a easy auto seting to use?im a newbie still and the moon looks so nice tonight please help

jsiladi Apr 23, 2005 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Use autofocus and try to catch the edge of the moon in the center of your frame.. Some like to go full digital zoom others stop at 12x and crop in post processing (the latter will give you a clearer image).. Set at Aperture priority about f5.6 and let the camera choose the shutter speed.. You are taking a picture of reflected sunlight here.

Good luck,
Jeff

squirl033 Apr 23, 2005 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this shot was taken using only the 12x optical zoom,at f8, 1/125, ISO 100, in manual mode. use a tripod and try several different exposures, using different shutter speeds, from 1/100 up to maybe 1/250, depending on how bright and full the moon is. i can't tell from here... it's raining!

claybird Apr 23, 2005 11:57 PM

cool ill try it now.figures its a nice moon on one of are record low temps for april .thank you for the help

jsiladi Apr 24, 2005 12:07 AM

Don't let that stop you.. Trust me it beats standing out on a hot humid night trying to photograph the moon...

Squirl, curious as to the time of night you took your photo.. Mine is at 1am eastern time.. Noticing the slight difference in angle.. Is that due to location or time??

Jeff

claybird Apr 24, 2005 12:14 AM

went behind tree.s darn .lol i had a clear view thru branches and then wind moved branch .guess ill try tomorow.i always miss good shoots one time i saw the most mazeing sunset ranto get cam and run up hill and it was gone

trooplewis Apr 24, 2005 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I caught this one tonight when it was still low on the horizon, but I did it handheld and even with OIS2 on couldn't catch the details as well...

squirl033 Apr 24, 2005 12:45 AM

claybird wrote:
Quote:

cool ill try it now.figures its a nice moon on one of are record low temps for april .thank you for the help
don't feel too bad... that one itook wasshot last December 28th, at 1:00 in the morning!

squirl033 Apr 24, 2005 12:49 AM

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:

Squirl, curious as to the time of night you took your photo.. Mine is at 1am eastern time.. Noticing the slight difference in angle.. Is that due to location or time??

Jeff
mine may have been taken a day or so after the full , and yours a day or so before - that might account for the slight softening, or lack of clarity on one edge or the other. of course, the pic i posted was also taken 4 months ago...

claybird Apr 24, 2005 1:00 AM

so when is best time to photo moon? full or a few days after?