Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:17 PM   #11

backyarder1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Great advice. I'm not sure what all of it means (what is USM?). I think probably what I need the most is a good digital photography course. I'm a freelance writer and its a LOT easier to sell an article when you have pictures to go with it. I rarely get paid extra for the photos, but they do help "sell" an article.

And yes, the EVF is a must!!! I love the squirrel photo, squirl033!
thanks! i snapped that little guy on my first trip out with my FZ20 back in November of last year... he was four feet up a tree and stopped to look back over his shoulder at me, so i cranked up the zoom and captured him. the avatar is cropped pretty heavily, the original included most of the squirrel...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:21 PM   #12

backyarder1 wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone tell me why the colors look too washed out and unnatural looking in this photo. I can't seem to get any good flower shots. All of them look unnatural. This one was shot at vivid but I have also tried natural.
Hi Backyarder, I agree with Squirl that it looks like you shot this on an overcast day. A little upping of the contrast while lowering the brightness in post production usually does the trick.

I concur with everyone else, the original pic does not look washed out. I would suggest printing the picture and comparing it to what you see on your monitor, as everyone has said, it could be your monitor.

Here is your pic sharpened and with a little more contrast and brightness lowered.

AS you can see, there are various ways to achieve similar final results.

Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:23 PM   #13

USM = unsharp mask.:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:04 PM   #14

I think part of the problem was the Vivid setting rather than Natural. I don't recall the other pictures being taken on an overcast day, but it might have been. Here is one I just took today. Natural setting instead of Vivid, but I don't think anything else is set differently. See how clear the detail is, even on the red flower?
Attached Images

backyarder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:21 PM   #15

looks a lot like the one i tweaked... a little less saturation, and with reds, that can make a lot of difference.it's also obvious thisshot was taken on a brighter day (note the shadows in the background), so you had better light. if you look at the first ones, you can tell there's no bright sun - there are no shadows, which indicates a cloudy day. lighting can make a huge difference in how a photo looks. it is, after all, the essential ingredient in photography, and how much there is, along with what kind it is, can really affect the end result.

i'd leave your settings as they are now. if you want, you can always boost levels in post processing, which is why a lot of folks leave the camera settings either midway, or sometimes even on the low end.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:04 PM   #16

PS->DEC Auto Correct->Fuji Film Velvia (film stock "emulator". Velvia is a Fuji film used by a lot of flower/landscape photographers... punches the colors more than a tad...), Nic Sharpener "John" setting...
Attached Images

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:07 PM   #17

Same filters, settings as above.
Attached Images

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:30 PM   #18

man you allknow alot :-), im impressed and glad i joined this forum
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:50 PM   #19

Hey, Nick, is that a free filter/action? Where can you download it?
mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote