Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2005, 5:39 PM   #1

Both shots taken at iso100 in P mode at -2/3ev, wb cloudy. Focus in spot mode on the red azalea in the center. Click pic for original.

FZ1; f5.6, 1/500s

FZ5; f4.5, 1/640

The fz1 choices for aperature and shutter seem a little better. The fz5 is a little overexposed. Except for that, the colors are about the same. The FZ5 shows much more detail as would be expected having 5mp vs 2mp for the fz1.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:15 PM   #2

Hi Fred. Interestin' comparison. Not much of a difference. Intersting difference in the settings. With the FZ-5 opting for a wider aperture, and higher shutter speed.

You can, of course, see the difference in detail in the enlarged pics, with the FZ-5's full-sized image being twice as large. Have you made any print comparisons?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:15 PM   #3

My old eyes can't see much of a difference.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:23 PM   #4

Nice shots Fred, yes looking at the originals there is no doubt the FZ5 is smoother, the "One Way" sign is legible not so in the FZ1 shot, Textures when zoomed in on the images are better resolved with the FZ5,I dont think using ASA50 would have helped the FZ1 image much.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:08 PM   #5

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Have you made any print comparisons?
Printed these two out 8x10 and the difference in detail is significant all across the print, near and far. The color is exaclty the same. On this shot, the FZ5 is simply an upgraded FZ1. The FZ1is a great camera and the FZ5 is moreso. Is it worth $500 to get that added detail out of a great camera?I love the FZ1 but the detail is in the detail. This is a moot point for those who dont have the FZ1. There is no choice.....(well.... how about the Canon S2???).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:11 PM   #6

...guess if I was a buyin' today, it would be the FZ-5 but I would hold off and see what the reveiws are on the Canon. I like the swivel lcd... Still, I think I'll hold out for a DSLR... but I'm also likin' medium format of late... :? :? :?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:20 PM   #7

Sounds like you're "but"in your head against the wall:angry::whack::-)
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:33 AM   #8

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like you're "but"in your head against the wall:angry::whack::-)
You know what? I really don't need "any" of them. I feel almost guilty about spending the $$$, since I'm perfectly content with the cameras I now own!

I'm debating on getting a Kiev 60 (inexpensieve Russian medium format body...) with a (real) Zeiss lens OR the Nikon D70 or 50. Or not getting any of them.

So, yeah Fred - :angry: