Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:05 PM   #1

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13225107

Link Chinese very slow (for me)
http://www.pconline.com.cn/zt/chinap...04/606042.html
3.5" rear LCD and small top LCD for waist level viewing
28-420 zoom Schneider german Lens
Zoom / focus ring
Its large probably bigger than an FZ20

Attached Images

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:49 PM   #2

Looks pretty cool. I would love to have a WA camera with good zoom but to still have 420mm zoom is amazing. And Hell that LCD is massive, I cant wait to see some more info on it.

Thanks for the link.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:50 PM   #3

John

that looks like a big digicam...bigger than our FZ's.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:09 PM   #4

Just noticed the flash hotshoe is right ontop of the lens barrel - now that aint a good idea. Also that LCD is too big for my liking, Id prefere on similar to the 2.5" 250k LCD on the LC1.

Harj

Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:14 PM   #5

WOW, that is one sweet (looking) camera. It is about someone put a real manual zoom on a non-slr camera (I know a couple other cameras have it, but this looks like the most impressive).
3.5" is a bit of over kill I think, but still, that is awesome.
That 2/3" CCD looks like the main feature, but where is the IS?

But I still love my FZ10
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:50 PM   #6

blinblue wrote:
Quote:
WOW, that is one sweet (looking) camera. It is about someone put a real manual zoom on a non-slr camera (I know a couple other cameras have it, but this looks like the most impressive).
3.5" is a bit of over kill I think, but still, that is awesome.
That 2/3" CCD looks like the main feature, but where is the IS?

But I still love my FZ10
IS ?? good question, think there is none
with the 2/3 sensor High ASA would allow highesh shutter speeds tho'

We have to wait and see.

The Top LCD is great for low to the ground stuff, the Big 3.5" LCD could be good actually (video replay) (no wonder the battery is large at 1900 maH

The manual zoom / focus ring is good feature, now does this thing gain up the EVF in low light.

Yes I dont like the hot shoe there but the top LCD needs space.

I think its a heavyweight like 600/800 GRAMS, I also think
(Sorry Nick) its not really edible, but many may well be happy with it.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:37 PM   #7

John

I'd rather have a tilt/twist/swivel LCD at 2.5" and with a high res. That to me looks way too big - askign for it to get scratched or damaged. I do like the manual zoom and focus rings -its one of the things that keeps on making me want an LC1 as well. Hopefully, if this Samsung has good reviews it'll get Panasonic to pull they're finger out and make sure teh FZ30 or whatever they call it has all the little issues with the FZ10/20 fixed. Plus a bigger 2/3 CCD at least.

Regards the 2/3 CCD's apparently the 2/3 5-6MP CCD's produce better pictures with less noise than the current 8MP versions. I'll try and find the link and post it as soon as I can.

Harj
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:44 PM   #8

Hmm, yes it looks very well indeed. But if I will decide to by new camera, then I would exchange my FZ20 only with DSLR. If I didn't have a FZ-20, than yes, than I would have another choice to choose from. And this manual focus thing makes it look like real pro camera. That LCD is almost twice as big as FZ's LCD. Hmm could be tooo big. But have to wait for some decent review.
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:49 PM   #9

I've looked at several postings about this today, and there doesn't seem to be any mention of an Anti Shake (call it what you will) system. I'm a little surprised if thats the case due to the sheer size of the zoom...:O

maybe this will at last make Panasonic wake up a little

Woody
ukwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:21 PM   #10

Looks to be quite a nice camera... If it doesn't have IS, though, that could be a deal breaker. I like that it goes down to 28mm with a yummy manual focus ring... Does it vignette? How bad is the barrel distortion? Plus it's quite large, and not edible. Nice to have a waste-level viewer.

Still might be better off with a Lumix and the Raynox DCR 6600 pro WA adapter. That gets you down to a .23 focal length - true wide, and virtually no barrel distortion. Plus you still have the Lumix IS system. Or the DCR 720 (or new 730)- which gets you to about 25-26mm, and just leave it on the camera most of the time. That converter gives you zoom-through capabilities.

It would be nice to have everything on one camera, though. And I agree with Harjtt... I would take a swivel lcd over this huge one.

Really - if they could JUST figure out a way to get the low-light capabilities - even say to 800 iso with acceptable noise, and provide true WIDE (wider than this, say 25mm minimum...), a focus ring, and 4 "clean" megapixels and IS with a zoom that "only" goes - say, 8X...

...that would be the DSLR killer. Samsung is on the right track. Intersting camera. Very, very nice. Looking forward to the reviews.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote