Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:48 AM   #11

I agree w/ the use of a card reader. I got lucky and have one on all my computers, built in, and even on my printer. The new dells have a SD card slot built into their laptops (inspiron 6000d), the hp desktop has a card slot for like 9 diff cards...and my lexmark printer also has a built in card reader.

The only time i would use the usb is if i didn't have a card reader. As far as wearing out the card, I think they are pretty durable. If these cards last me a few years, I will be happy. I take my card out every time I am done using the camera and store it in its case.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:39 PM   #12

The following paragraphis from one of the forums at steves review site. it's a very brief response from him regarding the best brand(s) to use

If you look at recent camera reviews here you'll see that we often picture one of those Transcend 45x SD cards next to the camera on page 2 of the review.We have been using Transcend, Lexar and Sandisk SD cards and find them all to be reliable and extremely fast memory cards

This info came from transcends website

Different from other manufactures, Transcend insists on using only original SLC (Single-Level-Cell) NAND Flash chips that have a higher write speed, lower power consumption, and superior durability compared with Secure Digital cards made with MLC (Multi-Level-Cell) chips.

This info came from here:
http://www.auphanonline.com/articles...498&page=5

[*]MLC takes a significant hit in the number of maximum Read/Write cycles. A hit of ten times actually. MLC allows for 10k Read/Write cycles compared to SLC's 100k cycles.
[/*][*]SLC is typically up to three times faster than MLC. What this means in terms of digital photography is that extra time you have to wait in between taking shots while it's writing data to the disk. In MP3 playback it may be the load between songs.

MLC requires a considerably higher amount of Error Checking due to the higher complexity, and so this takes up more real estate. The extra real estate taken up eliminates the advantage of stuffing more data into a cell.
[/*][*]The higher complexity also adds to the development cycle, so SLC is typically a full generation ahead of MLC. This is why MLC cards aren't actually twice as large as SLC cards. The only clear advantage is that MLC cards are still cheaper to produce. [/*][*]
http://www.achieva.com.au/news_slcvsmlc.htm

[/*]
[align=left]Why are SLC NAND Flash ICs superior to MLC NAND Flash ICs?

[align=left]Because MLC chip technology allows two data bits to be stored in each memory cell versus one data bit for SLC chip technology, MLC NAND Flash ICs (chips) can have double the memory capacity for the same size chip as an SLC chip. MLC chips are therefore lower in cost for the same capacity as SLC chips; but performance for MLC chips is poorer. For example, a performance study which evaluated SLC chips versus MLC chips (see the upper side of this page) by Samsung Electronics, the world's biggest memory manufacturer, observed that MLC chips provided only 10K program/erase cycles, while SLC chips provided up to 100K program/erase cycles. This indicates that a SLC chip has durability 10 times greater than a MLC chip. In addition, SLC chips performed 300% faster than MLC chips in write mode, and 43% faster than MLC chips in read mode. Although the use of MLC chips in Flash memory cards can save up to 30% in costs for manufacturers, it's 60% lower performance in comparison with SLC chips doesn't provide much of a benefit for customers[/align]
[/align][*]
[/*]
[align=left]From the web site:[/align]
[*]
So to sum it up, I have to say ATP gets my highest recommendation as the card to buy. The performance is up there, but I think most people will benefit more from the added security of knowing your data is kept in a vault, and I mean that quite literally. Secure Digital is designed to secure your data, but the definition needs to be expanded to include secure from harm- not just theft. What's the point of having your data secure if it's easily wiped out from accidentally leaving it in your jeans that went through the washer/dryer? The peace of mind knowing you can throw this thing around as much as you want without worry is reassuring.[/*]
wdkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:00 PM   #13

Well, I ended up ordering a Kingmax Platinum 66X 512MB cardfor 56 Euro. Not quite the 42 DollarNewegg price unfortunately.Alternatives as Kingston, Dane-Elec and Sandisk were about the same price, so I went with the Kingmax.

I guessI'll be getting acardreader as well. What's another 20 Euro's after spending over 500 on the FZ20. :-)

Both SD card and camera should arrive tomorrow
Purry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 3:41 PM   #14

you will be happy with the kingmax cards. i know i am.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:58 AM   #15

pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:
The piece of advice I have to offer is think smaller. The FZ20 has a neat feature where if you wake it up while pressing the zoom switch you can avoid it zooming out to 1x and be ready to shoot at 12x right away. Due to unclear reasons this feature is lost with larger capacity cards. This has been a previous topic of discussion here.

I have a 1gb card and am thinking of getting either a 256 or 512 just to restore this feature - it is nice for action shots (kids or animals in motion). A 256 card will capture a lot of high rez jpegs anyway.

I would stick to the higher speed cards to reduce the recycle time between exposures.
Boy, I thought I'd read everything there was to read on the forum about the FZ-20 but this is the first time I've read about this. In fact I just did a number offorum searches such things as'zoom wake up sd' and I can't find a previous thread that discusses it.

Anyway I have a 1GB card and the zoom resetting to 1xon wake up is one of the PIA "features" I would love to fix. However, whenI replace the 1GB card with the 16mb one that came with the camera this reset still seems to occur. Mine seems to be resetting to 1x when it goes into sleep mode and nothing I do with the zoom switch seems to affect that when I wake it up.

Would you mind explaining how this works on your camera?
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 4:49 PM   #16

I bought the ATP 60x Super High Speed 512 card. Here in Canada,after an in-store sale plus mail-in rebate itcost CAD$70 (US$56). No other 512 cardcomes close to that price, not even the regular speed cards on sale!That sold me. And I'm totally happy with its performance.

Great performance + super price = unbeatable deal.
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote