Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:32 PM   #1

Hi folks,

This is my first post here. After reading a lot on the net, I finally ordered an FZ20. I wonder which SD card would be a good match for this camera. I guess 512 MB or 1 GB is what I want for size. Do you think a SanDisk Extreme III card (20MB/sec; 133X) would be good or maybe overkill?

Any advice/hints welcome! I'm totally new to digital camera's.
Purry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:03 PM   #2

The piece of advice I have to offer is think smaller. The FZ20 has a neat feature where if you wake it up while pressing the zoom switch you can avoid it zooming out to 1x and be ready to shoot at 12x right away. Due to unclear reasons this feature is lost with larger capacity cards. This has been a previous topic of discussion here.

I have a 1gb card and am thinking of getting either a 256 or 512 just to restore this feature - it is nice for action shots (kids or animals in motion). A 256 card will capture a lot of high rez jpegs anyway.

I would stick to the higher speed cards to reduce the recycle time between exposures.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:04 AM   #3

512 is a good size for the FZ20. i have 2 that size, and one 256MB that i keep as a backup. no need to spend the $$ for the 133x card... anything over 60x is plenty fast. my primary card is a Kingmax "platinum" that'srated at65x, and it's plenty fast. it's also only about $42 at newegg.com http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820155257

with a 512MB card, you can figure on about 240-260 shotsbeforeyou fill up thecard, using full 5MP resolution and fine compression settings. TIFF files don't seem to offer any improvement in image quality, and suck up storage at a prodigious rate, so i don't use that setting. if you keep a spare card with your spare battery (you really should have both), you should be good to go for a full day's shooting (or longer if you don't get carried away with burst or continuous modes!).
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:23 AM   #4

I second squirl's recommendation. Stick with2 512 MB cards, memory cards fail like everything else, its better to lose 1 512 card (and have 1 working fine)than to lose the only working1 GB card.

I have 3 Kingmax 66X platinum cards. Anything over 9mb/s is overkill cause the camera does not need it and is just a waste of money. My cards cost me about $36 each w/ $1 for shipping from newegg.com

I love them all

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:19 PM   #5

I bought an Extreme III 1GB 3 months ago and works perfectly and really very fast (compared with standard Panasonic SD 16 Mb)... I use it to capture my kids in "action"...
guixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:30 PM   #6

newegg is the place and squirl033 already provided the link. I have it myself and use it for my FZ10, FZ20 and my Pentax *ist Ds.

I am very pleased with this purchase and can't see any reason to buy any other card.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:12 PM   #7

Thank you all for your advice. I will get a 512 MB card then. Probably not from Newegg as I live in Europe, but thanks for the link anyway.

Sohaving afast 133X Sandisk card is only an advantage when transferring pictures from the camera to the computer by means of the USB cable? By the way, is that what most of you do or is it 'better' to use a cardreader?

Cheers.

Purry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:32 PM   #8

Save the camera and use a card reader. That is what I do and recommend.

Either way works. Comes down to preference.

Have fun shooting when you get the camera and post them. That would be great.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:01 PM   #9

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Save the camera and use a card reader.

What exactly are you "saving" on the camera? It's a very simple and quick operation to plug in and copy photos from the card to the PC.

If anything, one would save wear and tear on the camera contacts by not removing the card to put it into a reader.

Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:13 PM   #10

i think the reference is to saving the battery. using a card reader eliminates the need to have the camera turned on while you're downloading/reviewing your pics. i have a card reader that i got on ebay for $0.99 plus a nominalshipping charge, and it works perfectly. it also lets me write from the PC to an SD card, which is handy for taking pics to get printed... saves having to burn a CD!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote