Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:16 PM   #1

How those teleconvertors affect the autofocus on the FZ5, is say a 1.7x much worse than a 1.5x. I think the tcon17 seems very interesting but with the lack of manual focus maybe its not so fun?
Henrik L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:49 PM   #2

I do not have a FZ5 but I have used a Tcon 17 on both a FZ10 and FZ20 with no focus problems at all.

Fred Moore has a Tcon17 and a FZ5 maybe he will answer you.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:05 PM   #3

I bought a TCON17 for my FZ5. Unfortunately since it arrived the weather has been bad and I haven't really been able to use it. But I did point it out the window at some stuff down the street and it seemed to autofocus OK, although it was a little more finicky than just the camera itself.

I do worry about the plastic threads on the adaptor. Shooting by hand I might support the camera + lens both with my hands, but on a tripod only the camera would be supported. The threads on the TCON17 are meager. Hanging that weight off just a few plastic threads seems like a recipe for bad news.

s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:08 PM   #4

OK, anything else you should think about before buying the tcon17? is it possible to take handheld photos at all over 700mm?
Old Apr 25, 2005, 5:16 PM   #5

The tcon17 autofocuses very well with the fz5 as it does with the entire fz series. It's one shortcoming is the shallowness of the threads. Add to that the recessed fz5 plastic adapter threads and you have a very precarious connection if you can get any connection at all. I couldn't. It is highly recommended (as in absolutely neccessary) to put some other threaded device (preferrably metal) between the adapter and the tcon17 that will 1)get a good connection with the adapter and 2) get a good connection with the tcon17. A 55mm metalmulticoated uv filter does both AND protects the lens if it and the adapter arekept on at all times. Remove for flash shots.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:08 AM   #6

Ok, which filter brands have good threads? hoya/soligor?
Old Apr 26, 2005, 1:01 PM   #7

I have a 55mm Quantaray I got at a Ritz store in the US. It works fine with the fz5. Quantaray is rumored to be made by Hoya so probably a Hoya would work. It would be best to go to a camera store with the adapter and make sure the uv filter has enough threads to grab the adapter. FZ1/2 owners faced the same problem. One of the solutions there was to remove the unwanted plastic from the adapter with sandpaper.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote