Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:56 PM   #11

True.

I'm about to order a spare from Ebay. The place I bought my camera wanted $59 for a spare bat. You can get them on Ebay for $7+7s&h. I just hope they're semi-reputable
s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:31 PM   #12

An equivalent 20mm-200mm is not practical. If you build an ultra wide angle to telephoto zoom like that, the chromatic abberation would be too bad. That's why you only see SLR zoom lenses like 20-45mm, or 18-35mm, because a zoom lens optimised for ultra wide angle will not also make a good telephoto without some serious amounts of correction with lots of glass. I think a practical limitation would be a 28mm-300mm, or maybe 28mm-350mm.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:31 PM   #13

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
You'll get over it. You can change the Pany battery in the dark.... drunk.It's difficult with 4 AA's getting them right end up and what not. And then you drop one.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor has been drinking.
Ty_Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:02 PM   #14

dnas wrote:
Quote:
An equivalent 20mm-200mm is not practical.* If you build an ultra wide angle to telephoto zoom like that, the chromatic abberation would be too bad.** That's why you only see SLR zoom lenses like 20-45mm, or 18-35mm, because a zoom lens optimised for ultra wide angle will not also make a good telephoto without some serious amounts of correction with lots of glass.* I think a practical limitation would be a 28mm-300mm, or maybe 28mm-350mm.
You're probably right. However, as mentioned by Fred, the Raynox DCR 6600 brings focal length to 23mm. However you lose the zoom. The DCR 720 - goes to around 26mm enables zoom-through - some CA and barrel distortion, but not bad imo.

... just a wish list, and perhaps 20mm is "wishing".
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:20 PM   #15

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
nimh AA's last a heck of alot longer than the proprietary batteries is why and they are cheap.

I get four2400 mAh for $8.99. Lasts twice as long as my pana batteries in my DSLR.

um that's why.
my LC43 uses NiMH AA's, and i can honestly say that i get about half again more shots from a charge on my FZ's proprietaryLi-ion battery than i do with 2300mAh AA's in my LC43. no argument that AA's can be had anywhere, and i'd rather be able to use alkalines in a pinch than be stuck without a battery, but i have three batts for the FZ, and it's unlikely i'll ever use those up without an opportunity to recharge. plus, as Fred said, you can change the FZ battery in the dark and blotto - i wouldn't want to try that with AA's... but then, i wouldn'e be using my FZ in the dark and blotto, either!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:23 PM   #16

Sigma has been making an 18-125mm for years for DSLR and CA is not a problem. Sigma and Tamron have released 18-200mm recently and CA doesn't seem to be a big issue especially when stopped down a bit. On a 1.5 crop that's 27-300mm so I can see it being possible on the "FZ Tropster" model:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:44 PM   #17

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
but then, i wouldn'e be using my FZ in the dark and blotto, either!
Indeed. You might end up with pictures of things you'd just as soon not remember having done
s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:49 PM   #18

Trust nick to open a pandora's box.:-)

Well, wishing 'practically' , S2IS is close enough to be a 'perfect-ish' camera. It has that awsome Movie mode too, which is the darling of most consumers. If the CCD was a little bigger, even at the cost of losing some zoom, it would be welcome, as it would reduce the size further( less zoom , not the bigger CCD)to make the cam more pocketable. Canon also have the reputation (unlike Panasonic) of listening to the grievances of the users.

I think if we grind Pana FZ20 and S2IS together and add Useable iso up to say, 800 ,sensible pixel:sensor size ratio ,Optical View Finder with Good manual Focussing Arrangement and then rebuild the new avtar in Canon Family(caring for user) with leica lens, we would have the DSLRK.

AA are not a great idea as they loose charge fast and you have to get them recharged just before you put them in. If you change your mind and want to go for that shoot two days later, you have to have freshly charged quartet.

Just my two bits worthmates. Me no big judge but just enough.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:01 AM   #19

...getting forgetful in my old age:

12. Must be edible!

13. Must be designed so that it can be also worn as a lovely chapeau!
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:06 AM   #20

P.S. Gotchya! Sucka'z :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: