Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:28 PM   #1

I don't claim to know what I'm doing with this thing yet. Also the light conditions sucked for this picture (cloudy, wrong time of day...), so I'm not too happy with it. I did a minor contrast enhancement in the Gimp, which usually I don't like to do but due to the flat light it seemed necessary.

Attached Images

s_xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:25 PM   #2

were you trying out the polarizer? i'm not sure what this pic is really of... doesn't seem to be any real subject...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:49 PM   #3

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
were you trying out the polarizer? i'm not sure what this pic is really of... doesn't seem to be any real subject...
Mostly, yes. I'm definitely not claiming it's a good picture in either a technical or artistic sense . Although I did sort of like the patterns in the water.

I agree with your point though: no subject. I wanted to find some nice birds, but they refused to materialize for the photo...
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:42 AM   #4

Remember that the polarizer reduces the light coming thru the lens by a full 2 stops. So use the polarizer when its bright outside, sunny...thats where you really see the effects.

Also remember to rotate the polarizer in front of the lens, the angle of best results is different all the time.

The best effects usually happen in a 90 degree plane from the sun, so keep that in mind also.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:47 PM   #5

Hey Indiawala, thanks for the tips. I did take several shots with the filter rotated in various ways (I liked the reflective one above best), but the trouble I had was that the changes were barely visible on the EVF.

I guess I'm not a big fan of the EVF overall
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:12 PM   #6

I've been playing around with a circular PL filter, and while the effect of the filter on reflected light is easy to see, I agree it's harder to use for blocking atmospheric scattering to enhancecolours--the camera will automatically compensate for the change in brightness etc, unless you're in Manual mode.

To use it effectively in P and other modes, you should half press the shutter button tolock the exposure, then you cansee the change as you rotate the filter. I found the effects arequite visible in the EVF, but not as obvious nor as dramatic as in an opticalviewfinder.
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 6:49 PM   #7

remember too that polarizers work far better in bright, sunny conditions. on cloudy days, the polarizing effect is almost negligible, and they work more like a neutral density filter, letting less light into the lens.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:31 PM   #8

What Squirl says is correct for atmospheric scatter, which is the most common use for a PL filter, but forcutting reflections--off water, windows, cars and other metal objects,etc--PL filters will work in most lighting conditions.
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:27 PM   #9

Thanks for the tips ladies and gents. I will try the half-shutter-depress trick at next opportunity (which might be a while since the visiblility outside is currently not more than 20 feet due to snow).