Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:11 PM   #21

LOL, that would be interesting to explain if he got into the automatic ice-cube maker...
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:41 PM   #22

LOL....u have got to be kidding, right? :lol:

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:19 AM   #23

Hi Seth,

In India, we have got used to living with spiders. I have a variety of spiders, a few inside my home and many outside, going about doing their duties without harming anyone. The floor and walls may appear clean, but these arachnidsmake home insome corner or the other. I have observed my pet dog spending time just watching spiders crawl on the floor or on the wall.So, we leave them as they are. However, if you find them encroaching your area - like bed - just bang the cot and create a loud thud, more than once if required - they just move off.

Am I boring?
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 2:16 AM   #24

Its kinda funny the turn this post has taken.

Raghu, I have lived in kerala, with spiders, fire ants, scorpions, lizards, blood suckers, flying cockroaches, and a whole horde of bugs living in my house. Actually there were so many of them that sometimes i felt that i was living in their house...lol. I remember out in the yardhow the earth would come alive with centipedes and earthworms after a shower because it floods a little and these critters need to surface to breathe. I am used to bugs, i am comfortable with bugs, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't still try to keep them out of your house...I remember going on vacation once for a month back in kerala and coming back home and seeing so many bugs in the house that I couldn't even step foot in the house. We finally used "lakshman rekha"...lol...and about 2 hours later had a pile of bugs to sweep out...guess what, we didn't feel sorry for them. There were so many that we have to set the whole pile on fire like it was a bonfire...i am talking thousands of cochroaches and other bugs. If anyone out there feels like we shouldn't have killed them, well then you should go live there and then talk. Until then live your life and stop preaching to someone else about how they should live theirs.

That was in kerala a lifetime ago...lol...a lifetime i still miss (bugs and all). This is los angeles, its rare to even see a bug in your house and when i saw one I decided to shoot a few shots before kicking it out of my house. The other option was to just kick it out of the house....the act of taking a picture before doing what I would have normally done does not make the act any different.

Taking the pictures was the choice i made, whether i was going to knock the spider out was never in question...whether i took the picture or not the spider was going to get knocked out. hope this quenches the curiosity of all those concerned about the fate of that spider :lol: it was unfortunately sealed (regardless of whether i took some pictures or not)

seth
Old Apr 29, 2005, 2:39 AM   #25

I agree with you, Seth. I am not sure if I would have said the same thing had it been a scorpion or centepede or even a harmful spiderin place of the harmless spider. I have also seen quite a few recipes for insects and other creatures on this very forum, that did not receive comments as your post has!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:52 AM   #26

Well lets take it one step further. How about a cat or a dog ???. Would anyone object to me knocking it on the head so I could get it to stay still for a shot........maybe put it in the fridge for awhile ???. I guess thats ok as well huh.

Why not stun an eagle to get a shot. Exactly where do you draw the line.......insects,animals or maybe humans. Anyway, just an interesting thought.

Alive as always

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 8:05 AM   #27

Nice shots as usual Danny, good to see you back, missed your input over the last month.

Ian
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:38 AM   #28

I will repeat this again "I would have knocked the spider out regardless of whether I wanted to take some shots of it. I found it spinning a web over my bed and I was about to grab a sandal to smash it, then I realised that would make a mess on the walls so I decided to knock it out and throw it out. The fact that I then decided to take some pictures doesn't make it immoral all of a sudden.

For all of you out there that DO NOT draw lines...I guess an insect is just as important as a dog as a cat as a human. How absurd. Well my question to you all is, do you call people who eat meat... murderers, or do you co-exist with them? If you co-exist then you are hypocrites, cause trust me if i knew of someone that killed a human I am not going to sit quietly and pretend its their perogative.

seth :-)
Old Apr 29, 2005, 4:53 PM   #29

Knock down as many spiders as you want, just follow the right procedure.OK?:blah:

To be honest there are some of the God's creatures which are plain nuisance. May be they are necessary for the ecological balance in some way but it is a fact that there is a whole industry engaed in the specific purpose of their destruction.:idea:

I will post one insect photo tomorrow after knocking it dead. I am sure no body will mind.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:30 PM   #30

Well the question goes un-answered then. We don't know where the line is drawn. "How absurd", it sure is and its one that I don't know either. I never said I was for it, or against it, I ain't that stupid :-), I just asked a question :-).

I certainly wouldn't post this on a nature photographers forum though such as naturephotograpers.net, photomigrations.net or naturescapes.net...........but if you do, can you let me know so I can watch :-).

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote