Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:43 PM   #1

I got my FZ20 a few months ago...and no matter if I use the EVF or the LCD (I tend to use the EVF now), I can't quite tell when my pictures are perfectly in focus. I guess it's a matter of them both being pixellated. Are there any "tricks" to this? I've already switched to spot focus, and although it's likely helped a bit, sometimes I'm pretty disappointed when I upload to my computer, and they're out of focus.
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:49 PM   #2

Loss of focus is generaly do to movement when you shoot , try setting the camera on somthing to steady it . Also turnon thecamera shake. Im new myself and found movement to be my weakness .

Post a few pics , someone will have some pointers . Save the exif so they can see what your camera settings are :|
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:44 PM   #3

Are you doing manual or auto focus?
Even though the autofocus isn't great indoors in low light, the autofocus is still good. for the most part, it is usally easier (and faster) to use autofocus, and leave manual focus for more special cases
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 9:54 PM   #4

Are you simply pushing the shutter all the way down, or are you going half way to insure that the picture is in focus, then pressing all the way down?
Strong Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 3:40 PM   #5

I'm pressing halfway to focus, and then pressing halfway to capture. It could be because of camera shake...for some reason, my exposure time seems short.

I think the biggest part is being able to get spot focus on what I want to actually be in focus. I seem to be taking a lot of photos where I have a very very small area to focus on. Spot focus seems to precise to keep on my subject while focusing, and the second focus option (the "bigger square spot") seems to large to analyze only the distance of my subject.
Dlatu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 3:56 PM   #6

I just have to ask but the switch on the lens is in the up position , right?

And except for framing the picture the way you want. you do not need to seeanything,the camera will tell you when it achieves focus. If it beeps once and the green ball is at the top of the EVF it has focused.

Now it may not be focused on what you want but it has locked focus when it beeps once and the ball stays green.

Keep experimenting there are people that like the 3 point autofocus but it does not seem to work for me.

And it is possible that the camera is defective.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:18 PM   #7

Which OIS mode are you using?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 6:56 PM   #8

Dlatu1983 wrote:
Quote:
I think the biggest part is being able to get spot focus on what I want to actually be in focus. I seem to be taking a lot of photos where I have a very very small area to focus on. Spot focus seems to precise to keep on my subject while focusing, and the second focus option (the "bigger square spot") seems to large to analyze only the distance of my subject.
are you getting a focus lock (green square lights up in your EVF) and then switching your subject or moving to reframe the picture at all? as long as you keep the shutter half pressed, the camera will remain focused at the distance it was when you pressed it. if you then move to recompose the picture, especially in spot focus mode, you may find the rest of the image out of focus. i find i only use spot focus for extremely precise or close-in work. the rest of the time, i use the larger single-area mode.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 8:43 PM   #9

Here is how I do it.

This is good ONLY for shots where you can use the same focus position.

I do bird photography. When I know my bird will be at the same place for a long period of time, I settle this way.

On tripod, all automatic except for manual focal. Shooting at the bird, I just push down the focus button to get the right focus. Then I am ready for all the shots I want.

Again, this is ONLY when I will shoot my subject at the same place like a wookpecker building his hole in the tree.

Hope this can help you.
coutancineau is offline   Reply With Quote