Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 25, 2005, 6:40 PM   #11

Treemonkey has already reported in at Sydney Wide Angle. Srw6600 makes no difference. Either will probably work as well with the stock fz5 adapter as it does with the modified adapter except for the considerable vignetting at wa. The adapter modification takes care of the vignetting. The modification I did only works with the raynox rt5264p as far as I know. Therefore, you are restricted to 52mm. There is no 58mm adapter that will slide over the fz5 adapter to my knowledge. You cant get the srw close enough to elimonate the vignetting. The dcr6600 and the rt5264p is the ONLY WAY TO GO.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:37 AM   #12

Doh! I must be getting old, I even sawtreemonkey's report earlier in the week and didn't remember. It's odd, though,yesterday I searched for "SRW-6600" and SRW6600" and that thread didn't come up on the results.

Anyways, Fred, I'm sold--DCR6600 + rt5264p + adaptor ring are on top ofmy list when the family comes asking for birthday and fathers day gift ideas. (I'm going to keep the original adaptor with PL filter for normal shooting).
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:54 AM   #13

pmjwright wrote:
Quote:
Anyways, Fred, I'm sold--DCR6600 + rt5264p + adaptor ring are on top ofmy list when the family comes asking for birthday and fathers day gift ideas. (I'm going to keep the original adaptor with PL filter for normal shooting).
The stock adapter (part#VYQ3388) is backordered. Expected in 6-8 weeks.

Old May 26, 2005, 1:01 PM   #14

Fred I have been trying to see how much of your experiment would apply to the FZ20 and Raynox DMC 6600 using the FZ20 standard adapter.

When I set the 6600 over the adapter and power up the camera the camera lens will raise the 6600 up a little so there is obvious contact. However I do have a slim ring(can`t remember where it came from or what it is) that is the exact diameter as the adapter and Raynox. When that is placed between the adapter and Raynox 6600 there is no contact so I assume I am getting close to the camera lens.

Taped onfor testing the Raynox gives no viginette at any focal length and no softening of corners until about 4X. I was hoping for 6X or 8X. There may be about a mm of clearance now. Do you think that is enough to help out if i sand it (the spacer ring)be a thinner profile? I really love my 6600 and keep it mounted almost all the time but would like to be able to zoom up a bit now and then just for versatility. Thanks. Bob
bob ingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 9:16 PM   #15

Fred I have been thinking about what you said in regard to plastic threads and have decided to use the Phayee adapter as the basis of the conversion. I have the Ratnox adapter now abd have a Phayee that I can experiment with. If that works out as hoped for then I will get another Phayee for the job. So far so good.

I have now removed the glass (hammer) from a tiffen 72mm UV and have the ring screwed into the Phayeewith the 6600 sitting inthat. There is still about one mm clearance so will sand the ring down until the Raynox just clears the Leica.

I hope you do not think I`m a copy cat. They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I assume you have demonstrated this methos as a guide for those of us wishing to try it ourselves. Anyway I`m still a long ways from finished but like to have input from someone whose been there and done that. Thanks again. Bob(Spencer)
Old May 27, 2005, 11:09 AM   #16

Bob- From what I have seen, the fz5 lens seems to be more compatible with the 6600 for use through the zoom than other fz series cameras. Getting the 6600 as close to the fz20 lens as you are doing will certainly help with vignetting and may give you marginally better results at greater zoom but overall I dont think the 6600 is going to do as well with the fz20 as with the fz5. In other words, it really isnt the modified adapter that makes it work. That takes care of the vignetting by getting the wa and camera lens closer together. The increasinglydistorted corners are going to happen anyway with the fz20 and 6600.
Old May 27, 2005, 12:16 PM   #17

Thanks Fred. This leads to another question. If the FZ5 prefers the 6600 then I must ask if the work I do to the adapter will work on the FZ5 if I would get one as a second camera? I could leave it mounted all the time that way.

What would allow the 5 (as compared to the 20) to better use the Raynox since both cameras have the 12X leica lens? Thanks again. Bob
Old May 27, 2005, 3:49 PM   #18

The fz5 and fz20 adapter attach differently to the cameras. The fz20 adapter has a threaded connection to the fz20 whereas the fz5 is more of a bayonet style connection to the camera. But you will need the Raynox rt5264p adapter which it appears you have. Dont do any modification to that. That stays as is for the fz5 adapter modification. Now that i look back at this thread, I see you mention having the DMC6600. Do you mean DCR6600?
Old May 27, 2005, 4:51 PM   #19

Fred yes i do have the DMC just didn`t remember correctly.

I have the RT5264p adapter on my FZ20 now. It appears there is a lot of room at the base of it to remove some thread and get theRaynox closer to the Leica. Would be very easy to do. But I am going to pursue my present plan of getting another Phayee to use. I just like the look better of the lens being straight and of large diameter.

I have posted a thread here in hope of finding a better hood for the 6600. Have you found anything that works? Thanks for the help. Bob

One thing that is not clear to me is that the adapter you show and my adapter have exactly the same designation but are not the same in appearance. Mine has a step and yours looks straight. Maybe I`m just missing something.
Old May 27, 2005, 8:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Fred yes i do have the DMC just didn`t remember correctly.
You drinkin that nikki-nkki tea agin? :?Is it the dcr or the dmc?

Quote:
It appears there is a lot of room at the base of it to remove some thread and get theRaynox closer to the Leica.
Quote:
One thing that is not clear to me is that the adapter you show and my adapter have exactly the same designation but are not the same in appearance. Mine has a step and yours looks straight.
I havean early version of the rt5264p. There is a protruding ringat thefrontof thethreads that screw onto the camera. Removingmaterial from the adapter will not accomplish anythng. You wont go screw on any furtherthan that ring. More importantly, the fz5 adapter modification is dependent on that protruding ring. The inside diameter of that ring is exactly the diameter needed to tightly pressure fit the rt5264p onto the stock fz5 adapter. If that ring has been changed in any way on the more recent design, there is good chance the newer rt5264p adapters wont work.

Here is the inside of my rt5264p adapter. There is a light speck of dirt at 12 o'clock on the protruding ring. Is that ring present on your rt5264p?

You mention a step on your adapter. That could also interfere with the fit of the newer rt5264p onto the fz5 adapter. If so..... :shock:, only the older rt5264p adapter will work for the modified fz5 adapter. Not that anyone is in a hurry to hacksaw their stock fz5 adapter.