Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:00 PM   #1

The fz5 and the Raynox dcr6600pro .66x wide angle converter work beautifully together. Here is a tulip poplar and its twin that was so tall I had to stiched two shots together (2ndpic)in order to get it all in. The distortion free dcr6600 made it. Due to the foliage all around there were very few clear shots. Without the 6600 it would have been nigh impossible. See complete set at http://www.pennypackpark.org/trees/

FZ5 and dcr6600

[align=center]Tulip Poplar Twins

[/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:25 PM   #2

Great shots, Fred. Nice pano... All things considered the DCR 6600 is the WA to get, I think, if you don't want zoom through. Really, with that teleconverter, you really have a great deal of coverage:23 to 420mm, which is amazing both for the price, and with onlya fixed lens and a teleconverter. I might revisit that WA down the road.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:30 PM   #3

"wow" great at how well you photograph trees , kinda draws you into the picture i need one of those for sure great stuff :|
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:57 PM   #4

Great shots!

I'm interested in getting a WA converter, so have been foolowing threads like this one. When Ilooked intothe DCR-6600 Pro,I see Raynox also has a SRW-6600 Pro. The only difference seems to be58mm threads vs 52mm. Does anybody know whether there is any advantage or disadvantage of either model for an FZ-5, i.e. any benefits of going with a step-up ring vs a step-down ring?

Thanks.
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:59 PM   #5

Check this out, Nick. http://www.lensmateonline.com/Raynox6600corner.htm Claims the 6600 gets clearercornersas zoom is increased with the Canon G3/5. I wont claim that but this setup I have with the sawed off fz5 adapter and raynox rt5264p slid over it (See here) puts the 6600 as close as you can get without touching the fz5 camera lens. I've taken some cursory shots that suggest the corners dont lose much if any. I'll try to duplicate what the canon guy did and post the results. At any rate, this setup has me set up. Mucho enjoyment. Thanks for the comments. You too, Pap. My main tree man.

Fred

pmjwright - See the hyperlinked here above. The fz5 adapter is already too long and the use of a step ring (down or up) makes matters worse. IMO, the rt5264p modified fz5 adapater is the only way to go. Since that gives you 52mm threads, you would want the dcr6600 rather than the srw6600 (58mm).
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 4:10 PM   #6

Hey fmoore check out the tree on the Everest post , what do you think of this one ?

Old Apr 27, 2005, 5:50 PM   #7

pmjwright wrote:
Quote:
Great shots!

I'm interested in getting a WA converter, so have been foolowing threads like this one. When I looked into the DCR-6600 Pro, I see Raynox also has a SRW-6600 Pro. The only difference seems to be 58mm threads vs 52mm. Does anybody know whether there is any advantage or disadvantage of either model for an FZ-5, i.e. any benefits of going with a step-up ring vs a step-down ring?

Thanks.
I have just got the srw-600 and will post photos and my thoughts on it in the comming weeks.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 6:13 PM   #8

Does anyone know if stepping down from a 55mm threadto a 52 mm thread (Raynox DCR 6600) is better or worse than stepping up from 55mmto a 58mm ? Would that ladder reduce vignetting or impact quality in any way?

Just curious...h

Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:43 PM   #9

excludeing thes , out of the ones on the other link the
American Beech - at park entrance at Ashburner St and Frankford Ave wins the

#1 for me :G
Old May 25, 2005, 5:37 PM   #10

Quote:
The fz5 adapter is already too long and the use of a step ring (down or up) makes matters worse. IMO, the rt5264p modified fz5 adapater is the only way to go. Since that gives you 52mm threads, you would want the dcr6600 rather than the srw6600 (58mm).
Fred, after reading many threads and seeing the pics, I'm convinced that the -6600 is the best WA converter lensoverall, and (bonus) one of the smallest. I just want to see Treemonkey's report on the SRW before I am totally sold on going withthe DCR + your modification. That's because I already have a 55-58 ring, just1 less thing to buy and 1 less hacksaw job. (actually, I'd buy a spare adapter ring too, just to be safe).

Treemonkey, any news yet?
pmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote