Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:03 PM   #1

Hi All,

A couple weekends ago Mrs. Hummer and I got away for a little camping, hiking and exploring around the Moab, Utah, area. We found a nice spot along the Colorado River called Upper Big Bend. Here are some images with the Panasonic FZ10 I thought you might appreciate.

We had just returned to camp after taking a hike up the enchanting Negro Bill Canyon to visit the Morning Glory Natural Bridge, one of the largest in the USA. We were relaxing in our camp chairs enjoying a cold margarita and using binoculars to scan the cliffs in the distance when we noticed something unusual. The first photo shows the view of the rocky cliffs lining the river down canyon. This is the normal view the eye and the FZ10 sees at 1x. Look closely at the rocky promontory above the cab of the truck. To the right is a dip and a (tiny) pointed spire. I put the 1.5 teleconverter and monopod on the camera and took the next two photos of that spire.

The second image taken from my camp chair at 18 times optical magnification, the spire is clearly visible and by itself is about 120 feet high. The last shot, taken from from the same spot, is digitally zoomed to 54x with the camera. The photo is not cropped or zoomed further in Photoshop. There were actually three climbers on top. We watched them climb up the right side using ropes and about 20 minutes later they descended down the left side. From the best I could determine the distance from our camp to that spire was a little more than a mile.

I doubt those fellows could imagine they were being watched and photographed so closely from so far away. For our part, we were happy enough to watch from afar.

Hummer

P.S.: It was late afternoon and the first two photos were focused and metered on the truck so the bright sky in the background was overexposed and washed out. The second two photos taken only minutes later were spot focused and metered on the spire, so the bright blue sky is as we saw it. Cheers!
Attached Images

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:24 PM   #2

lol thats way up there , man i dont know if id climb that , well maybe "cheers"
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:27 PM   #3

wow
Ryan in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 3:26 PM   #4

Trying a vertical rearrangement of the shots via photomerge to see if it displays in the window....
Attached Images

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote