Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1

how doi get a shallow DOF when i'm shooting in macro mode and dont have access to aperture controls? i've tried doing it with spot focusing and it focuses on a small spot but the focus is still not how i want it.

basically, how can i do it so what i want is focused perfectly while everything else is out of focus entirely, thereby eliminating the background as a distraction in the picture:?
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 12:26 PM   #2

What camera do you have?
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:35 PM   #3

oops sorry

usinga FZ20:|

btw i've been able to achieve the effect very few times and it has been the camera's own work i guess because like i said, i dont know how to change it in macro mode. really would like to learn how to do it properly
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:04 PM   #4

Wide apeture will get you shallow depth of field.You have a good camera for what you are trying to do.There are lots of people on this forum that would be better on giveing you advice on marco than myself sence I havent had much experience with it.I am sure someone will be along soon
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 5:37 PM   #5

I'm certainly no expert. In fact, I'm pretty new to all this stuff. But I've read and experimented, and I've found that the DoF is a function of your aperture and your focal length (zoom).

I've gotten my best DoF results when I'm far enough away to zoom in somewhat and use the biggest aperture (smallest f-stop, preferably f2.8) I can.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.htmlis a good site for computing your DoF. Our cameras are listed - our circle of confusion is 0.005, and our real focal lenghts range from 6mm to 72 mm (1x to 12x).

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 6:25 PM   #6

I have written an easy to understand (I think and so folks have told me) DOF tutorial on a website dedicated to my HP945. The same instructions apply to any camera with manual controls though.

Hope no one minds me posting this link to a rival manufacturer camera:O

Check it out and let us know how you get on :-)

http://www.hp945.com/depthoffield.shtml
photosmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 8:59 PM   #7

Max is saying he doesn't have control over the aperture in Macro Mode.

So in order to get the aperture as large as possible without manual control is to get a Neutral Density filter. This should darken things a little and force the camera to use a larger aperture.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:41 PM   #8

normally, using a wide-open aperture (f2.8 will get you minimum DOF with the FZ20. sometimes, though, even that's not enough. if you're shooting macro shots, and want a veryshallow depth of field, consider getting an adapter and a close-up lens. you'll get increased magnification, plus the ability to use the full zoom range and focus from 12-14" away instead of right on top of your subject (plus you get better lighting, and there's no shadow from the lens hovering over the subject). it'll also give you a very shallow DOF. i have aPhayee adapter ($22.50 US, plus $6.50 S&HfromRong Jin at [email protected]), and a 62mm Nikon 6T close-uplens (about $46 plus S&H, from B& Photo), and the two of them work marvelously for close-up work. if you're planning on shooting much macro at all, it's well worth the investment... :Gcheck out some of the macro shots on this board by folks like Willow, Fmoore, and Tchuanye, and you'll see what i mean.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 9:43 PM   #9

The FZ20 is able to focus dowm to its macro capabilities in any mode but Program (P). The macro setting on the dial is only for using macro in a "Automatic" or Program mode(the camera sets apeture and shutter speed for you). You can also use the program shift feature while in the cameras macro setting by half pressing the shutter, letting the camera select the stops that it considers right for the lighting, then press the exposure button. Program Shift will appear at the bottom of the sceen and alow you to change either shutter speed or apeture settings and the camera will change the other to balance the exposure out. Doing this will allow you to lower your F stop and get shallower DOF. The camera will adjust the shutter speed to match as long as the lighting allows.

JaSoN S.
Spencer1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:17 AM   #10

Spencer1076 wrote:
Quote:
The FZ20 is able to focus dowm to its macro capabilities in any mode but Program (P).* The macro setting on the dial is only for using macro in a "Automatic" or Program mode(the camera sets apeture and shutter speed for you).* You can also use the program shift feature while in the cameras macro setting by half pressing the shutter, letting the camera select the stops that it considers right for the lighting, then press the exposure button.* Program Shift will appear at the bottom of the sceen and alow you to change either shutter speed or apeture settings and the camera will change the other to balance the exposure out.* Doing this will allow you to lower your F stop and get shallower DOF.* The camera will adjust the shutter speed to match as long as the lighting allows.

************************************************** ********* JaSoN S.
This is correct. Manually setting the aperture to F/2.8 will give you a minimum depth of field AND allow you to focus down to the macro limit of 2in. (see manual)

Regards
chinaman is offline   Reply With Quote