Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 1, 2005, 7:44 AM   #21

The fz1 comes with a 55mm plastic lens hood adapter that iscompletely functional for fliters (eg, 55mm hoya r72 ir filter; uv filter) and light weight converters connection. The 55mm threads in the adapter are slightly recessed and many fz1 users have removed that portion of unecessary plastic with sandpaper to get a better threaded connection. A metel third party adapter is recommended for heavier tele converters.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:42 AM   #22

Aw! I just received an email from UniquePhoto that they ran out of stock!, gee lucky the one that bought it! Well, let's keep the offers going on!
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:11 PM   #23

ascaria wrote:
Quote:
Aw! I just received an email from UniquePhoto that they ran out of stock!, gee lucky the one that bought it! Well, let's keep the offers going on!
Yeah, me too :sad: When I saw the post earlier saying there was one left I was hopeful as I had already placed my order. Guess it takes awhile to 'catch up'. On a good note, my credit card was never debited. Still need to find two good cameras for relatives. A 'compact' point-and-shoot, and another 'family' with decent (6X) zoom.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:21 PM   #24

Why not get a LZ2? I just got one for my wife 6x optical 5mp. It just arrived last week and I have just started to play with it. So far I have been impressed with the macro, pocket size, and the 6x is pretty impressive too.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 11:24 PM   #25

I think the reason a lot of folks want the FZ1 is for the IR capability along with the long lens.. FWIW, Ritz Camera is running auctions of 'repaired' or open box cameras for $159..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 6:42 PM   #26

I apparently was the first one to jump in and order one, and when I also got a cancelation email I got on the phone with their internet ordering desk, and the gal there checked the list and confirmed that I was indeed the first one to place an order. She couldn't figure out why they had opened the can of worms and that there were about 30 orders placed, and only one camera to be had. She told me that it should be mine, and that I would get a shipping confirmation # by email if it was so. I did, and am expecting to take delivery at my door sometime tomorrow. I asked if theirs was an actual store, or just an internet business, and was told that it is a store in a town near Morristown, NJ- Florham Park. She was apologetic about the situation of 30 orders for one camera. Said somebody else goofed badly. I agreed.

It did arrive, and brand new in perfect condition. Even the black model which I wanted it to be! It is a FZ1v2 now. Tom

tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:06 PM   #27

pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:
Hate to break the bad news, but uniquephoto.com has it for 99$
[align=center]World wide web gets tangled up in New Jersey[/align]
pschooley1 - How did you find this? No one has ever heard of uniquephoto.com yet they have a fairly decent resellerrating. They're a mom and pop operation out of NJ. They had one camera in stock and posted it on the internet and got swamped with orders from here and dpreview.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 9:16 PM   #28

pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:
Why not get a LZ2? I just got one for my wife 6x optical 5mp. It just arrived last week and I have just started to play with it. So far I have been impressed with the macro, pocket size, and the 6x is pretty impressive too.
Thank you for the input. The FZ1 was just for my 'play', but I still wanted a good 'family camera' for my brother, and for my son who graduates from college next week. I checked out both the LZ2 and LZ1 as I wanted to keep the cost down a bit as the pics most likely won't be blown up past 5x7 anyway. At $219 shipped I think the LZ1 offers great value. Probably should get the LZ2 but with the 6X zoom I figure huge cropping shouldn't be necessary anyway (and I doubt they would crop anyway.)

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:46 PM   #29

NickTrop,

I'm blaming it on you! Though you may not be the complete reason behind this I am placing the fault square on your shoulders as you seem to be the largest proponent of the FZ1 and lead me to the recent (5 minutes ago) purchase of one of these little cameras. I've already and in fact recently purchased an FZ3, which I really like. However you, and some others like vIZnquest if it makes you feel better, have convinced me to pick up the FZ1. I really really like some of the IR shots you guys post which convinced me to purchase a Hoya IR filter a few weeks back but I'm not that happy with the process of getting IR shots with my FZ3. So…the FZ1 is on it's way and I'll be playing with that in weeks to come.

Also for those interested I purchased mine on overstock.com from Ritzauctions. They have the refurb units listed for $160 there and I was the only person to bid on this one and suspect that others will go just as easily. They also say that it does come with the full factory warranty.

I'll be upgrading to FZ1v2 after I take a few shots to be sure it works fine.

Now I just can't let the wife see both cameras at the same time…
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:48 PM   #30

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
pschooley1 wrote:
Quote:
Hate to break the bad news, but uniquephoto.com has it for 99$
[align=center]World wide web gets tangled up in New Jersey[/align]
pschooley1 - How did you find this?* No one has ever heard of uniquephoto.com yet they have a fairly decent resellerrating.* They're a mom and pop operation out of NJ.* They had one camera in stock and posted it on the internet and got swamped with orders from here and dpreview.*

Get this I typed "FZ1 Panasonic" into a Google search box, how original is that?
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote