Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:18 PM   #1

I went into my friendly neighborhood Ritz Camera today looking for a Canon AE-1 eyecup for my FZ3 (they didn't have one), and I discovered that they still have a couple of brand new FZ1's left on closeout for $200. It was really tempting. I figured I could use it for IR work, plus it would give me another battery and an AC adapter to use with my FZ3, since the FZ1 has a separate AC adaptor and battery charger, instead of the all-in one unit in the FZ3/15/20. I did resist temptation, however, and I didn't buy it (yet!) I don't know if I can trust myself if I drive by that way again in the next few days.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out to everyone who is considering the FZ1 that this is a pretty good deal if you're in the market for an FZ1. This might be your last chance.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 3:45 PM   #2

Great deal on a great camera, especially if you upgrade to the V2 firmware. Thanks for mentioning it.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:35 AM   #3

saw the same deal at the local Kit's Camera store here... they're owned by Ritz... they have at least one FZ1 on sale for $199.... I was tempted myself, though I'm not sure what I'd do with it that I can't do with my FZ20. It's make a great early Christmas shopping gift, though.. :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 11:49 PM   #4

okay, so i went ahead and picked up one of the FZ1's at Kit's for $199... got it for my ex, who's learning digital photography and currently has an LC33. i figure although it's only gota 2MP imager, it'll be plenty for 5x7's or 6x8's, and perhapsup to8x10 depending on subject, and she doesn't print the big sizes very often anyway. it's a nice, compact little camera... after playing with it for a bit, i can understand the appeal! i still prefer the features of the FZ20, but it's easy now to see why so many folks like the FZ1/3!
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:50 AM   #5

Congrats on the purchase. My problem is that I have to go by that store again tomorrow. I don't know if I'll be able to resist temptation!
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 12:56 AM   #6

keep your eyes straight ahead... both hands on the wheel... do not look left. do not look right... and try not to think of the fact that you can get a $500+ camera for $200!! LOL!

Old Apr 30, 2005, 7:22 AM   #7

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
keep your eyes straight ahead... both hands on the wheel... do not look left. do not look right... and try not to think of the fact that you can get a $500+ camera for $200!! LOL!
Now, do the upgrade (read FAQ here) to get yourself aperture and shutterspeed priority, and lately I like Qimage to boost up the dpi for prints (that program interpolates the HELLL out of images... 15 meg(!) does a nice job though...)

Oh, yeah, get the Hoya IR filter and you'll understand the appeal even more.

Congrats.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:59 AM   #8

I agree with Nick,

My favorite to take first and go out and shoot whatever. The colors on it seem to be more accurate than the FZ20 so PP is minimal.

IR, is well, the deal breaker. I have one just dedicated to IR only. The other I just tool around and have fun especailly for candids.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:16 AM   #9

I bought a silver FZ1 when Outpost.com had them for $200 over a year ago. I have not upgraded it yet and use it as a back up for my black FZ1v2. It gives me a back up battery for my walk about town and a spare charger as well.
Bobby Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 10:50 AM   #10

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Nick,

My favorite to take first and go out and shoot whatever. The colors on it seem to be more accurate than the FZ20 so PP is minimal.

IR, is well, the deal breaker. I have one just dedicated to IR only. The other I just tool around and have fun especailly for candids.
Photography's about "capturing light" too much emphasis is placed on megapixels when most consumers (self included) print the VAST majority of their photos at 6X4 or view on their PC. For $200 (I paid $260 a year ago...) this camera is totally undervalued due to its horsepower. The money I saved by going with the FZ1v2 over the Nikon 5700 (which I "bought" but the deal fell throught... long story) last year, enabled my to buy a ton of extras - converter lenses, flash and accessories, a dedicated printer for black and white, filters galore...

Every once in a while I get "the itch" but I look at the prints from this camera, with "a little" PS and "the itch" abates - at least for now.

Attached Images