Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 28, 2005, 4:20 PM   #1

On my recent holiday I attempted to use the lens hood on my new FZ5 as at times the sun was very bright...However I found that when clicked into position the hood actually obscured part of the picture and thus on edges of pics there were some strange black places...Has anyone else had this problem or am I doing something wrong? If I moved the position of the lense hood it worked. But then it was not secure and if I tipped the camera it would slide off the hood adapter!
Help?!
I also tried to find a uvf filter for the lense but to no avail...it is impossible to shop for camera stuff in Japan unless you speak good japanese. The staff in most shops (even the huge Yodobashi Camera shop in Shinjuku) do not speak any English at all and were very unwilling to help a "gaijin"...
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 2:55 PM   #2

one more try to get someone to respond to my plea of help here....
It seems some posters just do not get any response here?
I would imagine someone would have an idea why my hood is acting like this...
an example of what happens below....
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2005, 3:50 PM   #3

jussluk, i use a FZ20 and a hama hood. Since I screw the hood on top of my adaptor & UV filter, at tmes the edges show up in the lower corners of the shot if the camera is at full WA.

Give us some details as to what type of hood you are using, some photos etc, and maybe you will get some answers.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 4:19 PM   #4

I'm not familiar with the facotry supplied hood on the FZ5, but make sure that you have it mounted properly. On the FZ3 (and I would assume this is also true for the FZ5,) the hood is asymmetrical. There are two large petals and two smaller ones. Make sure that when you have it mounted that the large petalsare on the topand bottom of the lens and that the smaller ones are on the left and right sides. It is possible for me to put my hood on three different ways. One of them is right and the other two are both off by 120 degrees. Your sample photo looks like the petals are intruding on the left and right sides. Is it possible that it is mounted 90 degrees from what it should be? This is just a guess, but I thought it was worth a try. Good luck.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:28 AM   #5

I am referring to the hood that comes with the camera. There seems to be only one way of attaching it i.e. on one side there is a tiny spot protruding which slots into a hole on the adaoter which you then twist until it locks into position. When one does that though the result is as above!
If I don't slide it all the way until it locks into place it does not show in the photos but it is not secure then.
I will have to look at it again if there is something I am doing wrong...
I just thought there moght be other FZ5 users who have the same problem here?
Thanks for help!
Old May 2, 2005, 1:13 PM   #6

that is strange it all most looks like it couldnt be the hood doing it
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote