Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 28, 2005, 6:42 PM   #1

Manual isn't incredibly clear on this. I am assuming that the two choices you have for focusing (half-click shutter or use the focus button) also apply concurrently to metering ?

So if you half-press the shutter, the camera meters based on that focal point and that you can then point to a different spot and retain metering and focus?

Also, anybody besides me notice that the center-weighted metering icon seems like it should be the one with the spot in the middle of the brackets(the first metering choice, which is actually the Multiple Metering mode;scene-averaged)? The wording on the center-weighted metering instruction is also vague, it says it focuses on the subject in the center and measures the whole screen evenly. What does that mean?

I'm definately confused by that and would like some clarification from more experienced users.

What metering mode do you use most frequently?
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 5:31 PM   #2

Quote:
When you use the button-focus-methode...you only lock the focus.The exposure metering happens instantly when push the shutterbutton.So it's verry fast because the focus is already done.
Quote:
( . ) = Full-area-metering.
Quote:
( ) = Wide center-metering.
Quote:
. = Spot-metering.
Quote:
I use mostly focus and exposure metering with half-push shutterbuton.
edho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:33 PM   #3

I don't know what edho is talking about. Half press of the shutter button locks focus and exposure. I use center metering most of the time with -1/3 or -2/3 ev.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 7:16 PM   #4

The focus button allows you to choose a focal point independant of the 1/2 press button // scene // exposure point ie. Mutually independant.

The normal default 1/2 press forces focus point and scene exposure point as coincident.

With the FZ1 the focus button needs to be toggled on in menu (long winded)and the 1/2 press is disabledfor focus, so focus and exp. point can be different.

With the FZ5 the focus button can be used at any time ...far more convenient, then pick a point for exposure and reframe if needs be.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 12:22 AM   #5

Boyzo, I'm still confused on this.
If you set to spot meter...
And you half-press the shutter button...
Will you lock in the exposure, or will it only lock in when you do a full click of the shutter?

Watching the histogram, it continues to change even when you have the shutter half-down to lock focus.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 1:05 AM   #6

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
Boyzo, I'm still confused on this.
If you set to spot meter...
And you half-press the shutter button...
Will you lock in the exposure, or will it only lock in when you do a full click of the shutter?

Watching the histogram, it continues to change even when you have the shutter half-down to lock focus.
Troop am not an FZ5 user yet ;-) my guess is a 1/2 press locks both focus and exposure at where you point too, the histogram being real time will vary according to where you point thereafter, but the initial point used and the Fstop/Shutter speed as viewed in the EVF/LCD is what will be used.

This why the focus button is good you separate the focus/exp function,

1. Focus with the focus button

2. Meter a mid gray area for exposure lock with the 1/2 press on the shutter and exposure will be locked.

I don't have histogram on the FZ1 but with the FZ5 I guess you need to use manual mode meter look at histogram and adjust aperture or shutter speed (if needed) to ensure the histogram is balanced.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote