Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 1, 2005, 1:37 AM   #1

After reading many, many reviews and comparisons of the FZ3 and other cameras, I'm pretty much decided on that one. I went to Circuit City tonight just to take a look at it in person and see how easy it was to work. I took a shot of a sign in the back of the store at full 12x zoom and was a little surprised by what I saw.

Admittedly, I only saw the image on the LCD, but it seemed as if the 12x zoom was barely larger (more zoomed in, bigger, whatever you want to call it...) than what I could see with my own two eyes just looking at the sign myself.

Any thoughts on why it looked this way? The salesman said he's noticed that with this camera too (the one in the store anyway, maybe it's defective?). I've been really impressed with everything else on this camera, but if that's how the 12x zoom actually makes things look (i.e. just a "real life" perspective, rather than zoomed in closer) then I don't think I'd get it...
jrh312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 2:03 AM   #2

Something is wrong. :?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 2:11 AM   #3

Lets see. In 35mm terms a 50mm lens is approx as the eye sees. At 400mm its 8x which should roughly equate to the FZ's. So probably around 8-9 x larger than what the eye sees in magnification.

Unless I have it all wrong of course :-)

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 7:05 AM   #4

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Something is wrong. :?
yeah I thought/hoped so...
Old May 1, 2005, 7:18 AM   #5

nzmacro wrote:
Quote:
Lets see. In 35mm terms a 50mm lens is approx as the eye sees. At 400mm its 8x which should roughly equate to the FZ's. So probably around 8-9 x larger than what the eye sees in magnification.

Unless I have it all wrong of course :-)

Danny.
I've been thinking about this. I'm glad you mentioned the 50mm equivalent because I've always wondered what it was. But anyway, that would be almost at the far wide end of the zoom and I remember thinking about how I was surprised that the wide end pulled back so far. I don't really know what to expect from that end, but just past far wide was definately not the equivalent of what I was seeing. Maybe the lens/zoom was broken somehow...I'll just have to make sure I don't get the display model...:roll:
Old May 1, 2005, 7:23 AM   #6

Yes a few here have posted test results on this, from out wide to full tele. Wish I had now because then I would be able to post you a link. Someone will come along an know.

12x optical is one heck of a difference from a std eye view. Yes 50mm is the rough equivalent to what the eye sees. So the FZ's are impressive in that area. There must have been something wrong somewhere. Put it this way, how would a 3x zoom look, compared to the FZ's 12x :-)

Danny.

Old May 1, 2005, 7:32 AM   #7

Is there something I can use as sort of a test for it if I go back and have to use the same camera? For example, somebody told me to put a CD case about 2m away and zoom in on it. If it's working right, it should fill the viewfinder completely.

Anything else like that and/or does that sound right?
Old May 1, 2005, 7:32 AM   #8

Ahhh, heres one from Peter I think it was. Let it load and enjoy

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=zoom+test

Scroll down to "Spidermans" shots as well in that thread.

Danny.

Old May 2, 2005, 12:13 AM   #9

I think you may be viewing the image on the smallish lcd of the FZ3 and comparing that to what you actually see. Doing so will seemingly show a similiar image size, or at least has to me. However you need to remember that the image on the lcd is nowhere near the actual size of the image. When you see the pictures on your monitor you will be impressed with the large zoom of the FZ's.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote