Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 2, 2005, 1:54 PM   #1

I still haven't got around to picking up the Nikon 6T yet but as I was at the Syon Park in West London, I had to make do with the std macro. Syon park has a butterfly, tropical bird sancturay and a reptile/croc enclosure. My first real attempt at macro photography and photo'in bugs damn theyre ugly! so all tips, comments etc from you all esp from the experts, Fred, Tree and NZ would be really appreciated. While I was there this guy with a Nikon coolpix 8800 seemed to get some serious camera envy when he saw the FZ10 :blah: to him I say!

I also had the privelege of seeing Barney the Bengal Eagle Owl - fantastic looking bird.

I thought I'd be a wee bit different today and instead of posting each individual pict, I'd just post the link. I haven't organised the picts or added some others but here's the link to the gallery anyway.

the pict's start from here:

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/gallery/400963/1/21054425

All the picture's were taken hand held (with the strap in front of the handle to stop my hands from shaking), macro or manual mode, no flash. At ISO50/100. I did find that the humidity in the butterfly enclosure was casuing the FZ10 a wee problem with focusing - hunting around is the word so I kept to my usual manual zoom.

Harj

:G :? :blah: :-) :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 5:09 PM   #2

Nice stuff, Harj. Are thosecute girls your daughters? I like #16 and #17. I don't seethe 6t improving thebutterflyshots by much. Mostly it would just allow you to put some distance between you and the butterfly which could help with camera shadows of which there don't appear to be anyhere. Does the owl just sit there and pose and swivel its head around? (I assume youleft the can of Raid at home.:-) Down, bobc!)

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 5:13 PM   #3

Epping Forest, Autumn 2004
Owls - Heddington Castle (even if it was taken with a - gasp- Nikon )
my faves.

Terrific stuff.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 6:50 PM   #4

Good stuff. One question...............does the sun ever shine in the UK?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:49 PM   #5

great gallery all of'em nice :|. wish that was your pet owl

The black butterfly is huge :?

pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:14 PM   #6

I wondered over to 'Wildlife'. I like "Feeding the birds". Good 'interaction' there I think.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 3:13 PM   #7

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Good stuff. One question...............does the sun ever shine in the UK?
Noon's

Nope we don't get a wee bit of sunshine here in the UK. If it does then we get months of rain afterwards.

Fred,

Another question regards macro photo techniques is how do you get those tack sharp pict's without a tripod and can you zoom in 12x with the lens on ? Regards the little girls, theyre not mine, although I would be very happy if they were. Barney, I spotted as he was flying over the car park and then making a dash for the reptile area. I wish he did he just sit still and not go and find a bite to eat! I'm gonna try again in a few weeks to see if I can get him to pose.

Nick

Epping forest is pretty close to home - I think its one of the best picts that I've taken and your right the owls too.

Pappy & Charlie

Thanks for taking your time to visit and comment - feedng the birds - well that goose made sure he got the bread that the guy was throwing!

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote